INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist/Album file sorting  (Read 1563 times)

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
Artist/Album file sorting
« on: August 24, 2002, 07:01:38 am »

The evil RealAudio has 1 (and only 1) feature that is pretty cool to me: It will go through your MP3 files and automatically sort by Artist/Album/Song format on your hard drive; I assume it does this by looking at ID tags. I rip and download a variety of music by a variety of artists, and having to manually sort material by artist/album is torture. Does MJ have the ability to do this?? I have looked but cannot find it yet.

Listening to: 'Rockeroo' from 'Touch the Cloth' by ''snatch' on Media Jukebox

sekim

RE:Artist/Album file sorting
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2002, 10:02:07 am »

Try looking in Settings > Options > Tree & View Settings. On the right hand side is sorting. Write down the default (in case you don't like) and try this :

Leave the Track # for Albums checked

Delete what is in there and add these in ascending order

1. Artist (Ascending)
2. Year (Ascending)
3. Album (Ascending)
4. Track# (Ascending)

Also pick from the field options as to what you want, click OK and check your Media Library.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2002, 08:34:44 am »

Not really what I was looking for. If you go into File Naming and Locations, it will allow you to rip tracks to a specific file-naming sequence. What it doesnt (appear) to allow you to do is to apply this rule to all your files already saved as MP3s. That is a very useful feature that RealAudio will do. The media library organizational features in MJ are amazing, but there are many times when I need to access a file without necessarily going through MJ to find it. For example, I use an audio editing program that is much more comprehensive than MJ's Media Editor, so going through the media library to find a tune, then find the location, is unnecessarily time consuming. I can always organize the files through RealAudio, then reset my MJ media library, but I was hoping there was a way to do it all through MJ (I really really dislike RealAudio).

Listening to: 'Lagavulin' from 'Lemon Tongue' by 'Honeymoon Suite' on Media Jukebox

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2002, 09:12:31 am »

I also want the same feature. Particularly, after editing all my CDs that have been ripped, I wish I had an option to reorganize the directory structure of these files to match what the new tags are.

osho

sekim

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2002, 09:32:41 am »

Have you tried a new view scheme? Is it possible to add search criteria to a new scheme that would do what your are looking for?

I know you can set up schemes for different formats. I have schemes that seperate all ape files-from mp3s-from wav. Each named with appropriate format. Still not sure if that is what you are after?
Pages: [1]   Go Up