INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS3/DLNA support  (Read 14086 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Re: PS3/DLNA support <- Works!
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2007, 05:01:07 pm »

Howdy, I just upgraded my PS3 to 1.90 and MC12 to build 294, and I found MC12 w/PS3, and am streaming mp3 happily.

Yeah, MC can work (did work at some point)...just not doing everything well.  I just tried with 1.90 and MC12 294 and all I get is 'unsupported data' for MP3s (didn't try video or pics).

What Receiver option do you have set in MC12's UPnP Options screen?

Does album cover art show up for you on your PS3 with MC12 UPnP?

davisford

• World Citizen
Re: PS3/DLNA support
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2007, 05:18:32 pm »

Options:

Convert audio if necessary
Encoder: MP3
Receiver: Advanced
  X Skip Child Count
  X Experimental DLNA

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2007, 05:21:29 pm »

Unfortunately, PS3 as UPnP client kinda sux. 

I hate clients that won't continue to play current track and simultaneously let you browse.  The minute you go back in the menu..playback stops.

Incidentally, I tried using Vista WMP 11 Media Center, and PS3 finds it, but I could not get it to display any trax.

I also run a mt-daapd server which works nice for iTunes, and Roku, but not DLNA, so no go on PS3.

Am planning on trying the other servers that are available.

SimonT

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 05:24:51 pm »

Very funny - working again for me intermittently again too - does not always seem able to complete a full track however before skipping out.  The only option I have selected is experimental DLNA.  Whilst it is playing though, checkout the options on PS3 (green triangle) and select "visual player" - cool :-)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2007, 05:25:12 pm »

Unfortunately, PS3 as UPnP client kinda sux. 

I hate clients that won't continue to play current track and simultaneously let you browse.  The minute you go back in the menu..playback stops.

Ah, no...just hit PS button once and you can browse all you want while the music keeps playing!!  You can even show a picture slideshow while the music keeps playing (in the background).

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2007, 05:26:21 pm »

Whilst it is playing though, checkout the options on PS3 (green triangle) and select "visual player" - cool :-)

Or, just press the [] (square) button to cycle them (all 2 of them).

SimonT

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2007, 05:33:59 pm »

Yeah, you're right - I was getting a bit excited at getting anything visual...

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2007, 11:39:34 am »

Cool - thanks for the tip on the menu with triangle.  The actual browse-ability of PS3 is not bad now that I play with it some more.  Kinda like iPod with accelleration over long menus (I have a lot of music).  And with the UPnP setup - you can create the menus dynamically on the server side, which is a really nice thing to be able to do. 

A couple irks: I get Network Connectivity Error an awful lot.  For the most part -- it is not a big deal.  That message pops up, and then it goes to the next song.  However, for longer playlists, it will usually hit about the 10th song and then just give up and go back to the menu.  This problem could be all manner of things:

* Wi-Fi connectivity is probably nearing the distance limits with my setup
   * Media Center exposes the UPNP client, but the actual files are stored on a CIFS linux share, so there is yet another hop

I did notice a "Delete" menu item in the PS3 controls.  This kinda scares me...as I put no file protection on my library on the server side.  What exactly does this do?  I'd be surprised if it actually tried to delete the file from the disk where it is served.  Any ideas?  The last thing I want at a party is to have some yahoo delete all my music messing around with the PS3 controller.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2007, 12:28:04 pm »

As long as the files are actually being served by the UPnP server, you are fine: the UPnP server has no deletion.

j

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2007, 08:30:45 pm »

TIP: for those using ps3, etc.

Bump up process priority in windows using task manager
If you have router and can admin - bump up QoS on the protocols...default server side is 3689; default client seems to run 50000+

Service seems un-interrupted now.  Great stuff.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2007, 08:42:22 pm »

Hmm.. actually, after some more investigation, setting "Media Center 12" process to level "High", all my issues went away w/o router QoS intervention.

...indicating a protocol timing problem.

This is on a dual core AMD-64 with 3 GB of RAM and not doing much else but ticking its real-time clock.

I've seen the same problem trying to work out issues with MC 11 UPnP and Roku many moons ago on different hardware.  Just a hint, eh?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2007, 11:18:01 pm »

I'm confused - if nothing else is running, changing the MC process priority shouldn't affect anything, right?

j

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2007, 07:50:45 am »

Actually, I should clarify -- in Vista Ultimate, there are 56 processes.   MC is the only "application".   With those processes and god knows how many threads: if PS3 has kranky timeouts, I could conceptually see how boosting the priority over the rest might help it get the time-slice it needs to avoid a protocol issue.

W/o the boost, I get "Network Connection Error" on the PS3 typically w/in 10 songs or less.  With the boost, I've had it play several hours before the problem occurs.

I should also check the MAC stats for CRC errors to make sure HW isn't faulty.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2007, 09:57:21 am »

I'm not very familiar with Vista, but I'd be a little surprised if the background stuff was taking much CPU. (I could be wrong, with Vista's new features).

Do check the CRCs and you might also run a network sniffer, see if anything else is going on with the network...

j

sthomp

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2007, 10:49:50 am »

Has anyone had any luck playing videos? When I scroll through a folder of video files, only a few are available and will play. Most say "Unsupported Data" on the list. A few were listed with file info, but when I tried to play them they stopped with the message "The data type is not supported", and then changed to Unsupported Data on the list. The only files that play are MPGs (no WMV, AVI or VOB) and many of my MPGs don't appear correctly or play either.

Is this a codec issue? Am I pretty much limited to whatever codecs the PS3 includes, or is there something else I can do to fix this?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up