INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC World want to know what your favourite shareware is  (Read 2235 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
PC World want to know what your favourite shareware is
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:00:56 am »

PC World want to know what your favourite shareware is, and we hope it's Media Center 12 

Make your voice heard, vote today:

http://marketing.pcworld.com/peopleschoiceaward/

When you Register It Will Send You A E-Mail To Validate You. Click On The Link In The E-Mail And It Will Take you To A Page Where You Enter In 7 Of Your Favorite Software Applications.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: PC World want to know what your favourite shareware is
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:39:12 am »

Vote early, vote often.
That's the motto in Chicago.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:05:13 am »

What is the distinct difference betwen Shareware and commercial software with a free trial period?

I do not mean to seem ignorant but I come from old-skool where there was Freeware or Shareware and then there was the commercial offerings that you simply purchased (some with a trial of some sort).
So in present day terms what is what anymore?

I ask because I had not considered MC to be Shareware.
. . . the game is rigged

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:35:51 am »

I agree with the idea that shareware is software you may use freely, but may make a voluntary contribution or purchase. You can't use MC12 for more than 30 days without paying for it - so in my book that makes it commercial non-shareware. You can download Nero for a 14 day trial, as well as many off-the-shelf products like Norton AntiVirus - are these shareware also?

I wouldn't even say it helps or is complimentary for a product to be called "shareware" in a marketing context. Many people's perception of shareware is that it's written by so-called "bedroom-boys" or amateurs. Therefore I'd always describe MC as a fully featured professional product.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 04:35:31 pm »

The article in that link kinda contradicts itself (and is disputed).

I suppose if MC is shareware, then so is Norton AntiVirus, Ahead Nero, and anyone else who releases a trial version of their software to be freely distributed. Kinda broad term, then.  :-\

gappie

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:32:38 pm »

I suppose if MC is shareware, then so is Norton AntiVirus, Ahead Nero, and anyone else who releases a trial version of their software to be freely distributed. Kinda broad term, then.  :-\

dont forget windows xp and cs. i can use that also for 30 days before i need to enter an activation code.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 08:55:33 pm »

Freeware is copyrighted computer software which is made available for use free of charge, for an unlimited time, as opposed to shareware where the user is required to pay (e.g. after some trial period or for additional fuctionality).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 05:11:09 am »

As far as I remember it, distinction between freeware, shareware, and commercial software was the price. Freeware was free of charge (but you could contribute if you felt for it), shareware was inexpensive software provided for more or less symbolic charge doing the same or better than expensive commercial software. Another property of shareware (and freeware) was that the development was done by enthusiasts (who still need to somehow make money for living and equipment etc.) and that the users could affect future development to much larger extent than it is possible with commercial software. Another way to see it is that while commercial software firms try to squeeze as much profit from given workforce and investment, the shareware vendors try to satisfy their own and their users vision and needs, and still make a living out of their work.  As prices for certain types of commercial software are decreasing then the distinction between shareware and commercial is disappearing at least in the price dimension.

How about MC being commercial shareware?

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:13:26 am »

This is PC World's own definition (excerpt from the PC World People's Choice Award website);

Eligible Programs

The Shareware Industry Awards were conceived to honor the very best programs marketed using the "shareware" model. Over time, the number of companies using the shareware model has increased dramatically. For the purpose of the Shareware Industry Awards, the definition of "shareware" is as follows:

"Shareware" is any software that offers a "try before you buy" capability. The user must be able to try the actual product, whether it is a program that can be downloaded or a service that is used online. All products that meet this criteria are eligible for the Shareware Industry Awards. Any company marketing a product that meets this definition, regardless of the size of the company, will be eligible for the Shareware Industry Awards.

I suppose MC gets my vote then.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 08:55:52 am »

This is PC World's own definition (excerpt from the PC World People's Choice Award website);

I suppose MC gets my vote then.

Microsoft Office 2007!
Meets their criterion.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 04:22:46 pm »

Excluding M$ and Adobe products, MC is used everyday in my house.
Best $$$ I've spent. They got my vote because: -

1/ Does so much, even out of the box.
2/ The online forums and the users are awesome
3/ JR is constantly listening to it's users and making modifications and enhancements in very short timeframes.

Try getting a feature added or modified with MS :-)
For me to get a feature (not bug) into my companies code takes 18 months

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 11:24:14 pm »

That's exactly how I'd describe the term...  That's how it was always described to me when I first learned about it back on my old Apple II...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up