INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestion: settings transfer wizard  (Read 967 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
suggestion: settings transfer wizard
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:14:32 pm »

I just purchased a new Vista laptop and have successfully set up MC to exactly mirror MC on my XP desktop.

By exactly mirror I mean:
- same library synced between desktop & laptop (so changes on one system are reflected on the other) -to achieve this I of course needed to ensure my media files were in same location on both systems
- same settings on both systems (a very tedious manual process)
- Thumbnails are synced between the two systems (so I only need to build thumbnails once)
- Cover Art is synced between the two systems
- ScreenGrabs are synced between the two systems (a pain in the a** for ScreenGrabs created with previous
versions of MC since ScreenGrabs are stored in Program Files - I reported this issue a while ago so I won't
repeat my concerns)
- Library Backups are synced between the two systems
- same Skins on both systems
- same Plug-ins on both systems

I am pleased to report that it all works. I would however like to suggest that JRiver consider creating a settings transfer wizard. There is a LOT to remember when setting up a new system and it is a very tedious and error prone process (took me about 3 hours and I think I know what I am doing).

A wizard to move everything to another system would be very useful.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: suggestion: settings transfer wizard
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 03:16:43 pm »

Hi RJM,
Your request is similar to the requirments for many (mine included) and in the mean time you may like to try Glynor's scripts (I'm yet to give it a go myself but Glynor provided a link to a similar post I made a week or so ago):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35978.0
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

rjm

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:38:35 pm »

thanks jmone,

I am aware of Glynor's scripts but have not tried them. If I recall they move registry settings. This would be helpful, however I think we need some documentation from JRiver on what is saved where. For example, I found to my pleasant surprise that all podcast feed configuration data is stored in the library which meant I had little or nothing to do to set up my many podcasts on my new system.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:15:22 pm »

I would however like to suggest that JRiver consider creating a settings transfer wizard. There is a LOT to remember when setting up a new system and it is a very tedious and error prone process (took me about 3 hours and I think I know what I am doing).

A wizard to move everything to another system would be very useful.

agreed
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up