INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Laptop and possible perils  (Read 2994 times)

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
New Laptop and possible perils
« on: February 16, 2007, 04:35:13 am »

I ordered a Dell Laptop which will be loaded with Vista.  Are there any issues with Vista and MC 12 that I need to prepare for?  Shame I couldn't get it with XP, I'm a little worried my thoroughbred will turn out to be a gelding.  This laptop will be my primary computer at least till summer, before I start looking for a desktop monster.

The one spec I could not change was the sound card, but if needed down the road I could get a usb audigy.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Inspiron E1505  Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
LCD Panel  15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™
Memory  2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
Video Card  256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
Hard Drive  160GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Network Card and Modem  Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Combo or DVD+RW Drive  8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Options  Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards  Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps)

johnnyboy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Laptop and possible perils
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:17:26 am »

That spec sounds pretty good and probably able to handle it pretty well.
Only down side is the slow hard drive speed but thats normal as its a laptop.

Your right though, Vista is going to turn your burning cheetah into a nice little turtle (relatively).
Put XP on it if you can :)

jmmttu77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:32:57 pm »

Hope you used the handy dandy dell coupons to get 20-25% off.  You can always find those at notebookreview.com.  Other than that...sounds like a sweet lappy.  I just helped one of the guys I work with order one today and it was a shame that XP was not an option on their website.  Not sure if they would allow the change via a phone request or not.

Edit:  I do have one question for ya.  I noticed you did not get the Draft N wireless, any reason?  I ordered it for my co-worker, just because I thought it might be better.  Hope I did not lead him in the wrong direction.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 09:29:14 pm »

You'll be fine with that spec. I've been messing with Vista recently on my old notebook which isn't nearly as spec'd up as yours, and haven't noticed much of a difference in speed. I don't have any of the Aero features enabled however. It's still quite pretty though IMO.

Bought the missus a new laptop last week too (again not quite your spec) and it handles things very well - she loves Vista ("It's so shiny!") :)

I had a slight problem with the playback (probably due to my old spec) which was sorted out through the forums so no probs found with MC.

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:46:44 pm »

You'll be fine with that spec. I've been messing with Vista recently on my old notebook which isn't nearly as spec'd up as yours, and haven't noticed much of a difference in speed. I don't have any of the Aero features enabled however. It's still quite pretty though IMO.

Bought the missus a new laptop last week too (again not quite your spec) and it handles things very well - she loves Vista ("It's so shiny!") :)

I had a slight problem with the playback (probably due to my old spec) which was sorted out through the forums so no probs found with MC.

Thank you, that is what I was hoping to hear.  It be here the 23rd,  that gonna be one long wait.

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 07:02:38 am »

Edit:  I do have one question for ya.  I noticed you did not get the Draft N wireless, any reason?  I ordered it for my co-worker, just because I thought it might be better.  Hope I did not lead him in the wrong direction.

Had to hunt the link up for draft n.  I have an older wireless router anyway, but I found this intresting.
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/17/dell_draft_n_card/

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:13:50 am »

Someone asked me about getting a Dell laptop, but the one they were looking at had only 512M RAM, with 128 or 256 of that used by shared video, leaving just 256 or 384 for vista to run on. Way below even MS's min spec. Low even for xp.

Is such a setup even usable? Have they had to mod the OS to get it to run on so little? Sounds horrible.

Tab

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 06:13:35 am »

Someone asked me about getting a Dell laptop, but the one they were looking at had only 512M RAM, with 128 or 256 of that used by shared video, leaving just 256 or 384 for vista to run on. Way below even MS's min spec. Low even for xp.

Is such a setup even usable? Have they had to mod the OS to get it to run on so little? Sounds horrible.

Tab

This configuration is horrible. It will run, but will be very slow.

And no, Dell has not done anything to mod the OS to make it run on so little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up