INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files with txt extension are categorized as Playlists instead of Data  (Read 1118 times)

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing

Files with txt extension are categorized as Playlists instead of Data.

I would like to know if it's so now by design or if it's a bug. It used to work  until a few builds ago. In the meanwhile I've also installed the FLAC input plug-in, and am unable to specify if the problem arised with the newer builds or with FLAC.

An answer, please.... I have started a work with txt files (integrating composer biographies in my MC data base) and need to know if I have to convert everything to rtf (which works correctly) or can expect a correction....

An answer please!
Luigi

P.S. I know that i could put biographies in the single mp3 files, but it would mean a tremendous waste of space! It was so easy to point at the composer txt file and "play" it without disturbing what I was listening to!

Luigi1943

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

I think this bug has been fixed in the build 12.0.238 (5/22/07):

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40714.msg277603#msg277603
5. Fixed: Short text files could be incorrectly classified as iTunes playlists.

I didn't notice any difference between "short" and "long" txt files. For a little while, all txt files were imported as empty playlists. However, this fix corrected the problem for me.

If you are not using the latest build (currently 12.0.240) please install it and try again.

I too use external document files for additional album info (txt, pdf, doc, html etc). Here's an example album from my library:

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing

Tks for the answer, Alex, but I'm using build 240, and the problem is present.
Luigi

Media Center Registered 12.0.240 -- C:\Programmi\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1906 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 109 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-120S  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive G: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

Luigi1943

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

I just tried it again. MC imported correctly a bunch of txt files from a newly added import folder. I ticked only the following document formats: acrobat, ms office, txt and webpage.

If you have tried to import the same file(s) before MC may have the old file info stored in its internal database. In this case MC may not correctly detect the files.

You could try to import from a new folder or by simply dragging files to Playing Now.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing

I've made some more debugging and now I can solve the problem.
Some previous build had changed the category of my txt files from Data to Playlist, then those files could no longer be open by "play".
Now I've updated the library from the file tags, their category has been rechanged to Data and they are "playable" again.
The problem is solved (for me), but I think that a new build should solve the problem automatically.
Tks for the help.
Luigi
Luigi1943
Pages: [1]   Go Up