INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion for streaming WAV  (Read 1320 times)

Raistlin

• Recent member
Conversion for streaming WAV
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:11:24 pm »

On a more general note, I do have a couple of questions about MediaCenter in general.

1) The options for audio trancoding is currently MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and MPC.  Is it possible to add others?  What I am hoping for is a way to transcode FLAC to WAVE, so I can keep everything lossless.  Is this possible, or something that is planned?

2) Does MediaCenter offer video transcoding.  If not, is it something that is being considered for the future?

horse

• World Citizen
Conversion for streaming WAV
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 03:53:27 pm »

Raistlin,

If you search the forum you will find the answers.

WAV streaming and on the fly conversion has been covered a few times.

As for video transcoding I hope you have some big CPU's. I work in this industry and we use some very expensive DSP's to do this on the fly in realtime. Check out how long it takes a video conversion program today, whith the CPU pegged.

Raistlin

• Recent member
Re: Conversion for streaming WAV
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 04:45:16 pm »

Thanks ... I'll try to search for the info (sorry, I'm new here).

As for video transcoding, I'm using TVersity right now ... and am able to do it with a PC that isn't exactly top of the line.

Raistlin

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 04:55:03 pm »

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 06:58:19 pm »

yep that is one of the threads :-)
I almost re ripped my library in FLAC for probably all the reason you have or are about too.
However once I came across MC12 and the powerful library system, I didn't need IDv3 tag support for my source files.
So I went with WAV and I have more "tags" to classify my music and video's than I can handle :-)
Now I am trying to find a good UPnP AV client with a decent user interface to compliment the server . . . . .

BTW, you now have me intrigued, what video files will Tversity transcode on the fly?
I tried Tversity a while back, however my 24/7 machine is W2K3 server and it does not work due to Tversity relying on M$ UPnP framework. (MC12 has it's own)

My home machine that I use for transcoding (and generating huge amounts of heat when it does) is a 3.2G Pentium (the Furnace version :-) ) and when I'm transcoding even a DVD rip to H.264 or Xvid in high quality , it cannot do it at a realtime frame rate. I wonder what the quality is and if it can maintain the same frame rates and resolution
Pages: [1]   Go Up