INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install Media Server as NT (2K, XP) Service?  (Read 857 times)

rogowar

• Recent member
  • GeekMusic, Food, the Great Outdoors.
Install Media Server as NT (2K, XP) Service?
« on: August 23, 2002, 11:01:45 am »

Is it possible to install the Media Server as an NT service?  I've become accustomed to server type applications running as a service not requiring a login (spoiled?).  

My situation is that I serve my library to my laptop either in the house or remotely.  My home server is also currently my wife's machine.  Whenever she logs my user off and logs herself in, I loose my connection.  I've set it up to work for both users automatically, so the downtime is limited.  However, if she actually logs off her own user (which happens), I'm dead.  It's kind of a pain to call from the road and ask her to log back in

I tried a couple searches on and variations and found one request for info, but no solution.  Glissando, which is nice, still seems to require that Media Jukebox be running on the server machine, which puts me in the same straights.
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,"-that is all                 Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Install Media Server as NT (2K, XP) Service?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 11:15:51 am »

Media Server has no ability to do that, but I think someone posted something about a utility that would let you set up any program as a service.  You might try download.com.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

phelt

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 12:51:42 pm »

Here's the link for FireDaemon, which runs progs as NT services:
http://www.firedaemon.com/

and here's the link for NT Launcher, which is kind of a troubleshooting util for forcing apps that don't like being services ;)
http://www.duodata.de/ntlauncher/

IIRC, the NT4 Server Resource Kit had a utility for exactly this task - Srvany. Dunno if it was carried over into successive recource kits. I've had good luck with FireDaemon, and it's easier to use IMO.

rogowar

• Recent member
  • GeekMusic, Food, the Great Outdoors.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 02:15:18 pm »

Firedaemon is the sauce, extra spicey!  I remember the NT services tool for NT server 4 from the resource kit, but a) I couldn't find it and b) I was unsure of it's usability with 2000.  Thanks for the tip!

Any likelyhood of including service support in the next version?
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,"-that is all                 Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 03:12:20 pm »

Low probability.  Bigger fish to fry.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up