INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping problem; portable questions  (Read 1840 times)

BobM

Ripping problem; portable questions
« on: August 23, 2002, 09:55:43 am »

1.  I downloaded MJ 8 and am running it under Windows 98SE.  My system crashes (i.e., the blue screen of death) when I try to rip a CD.  Any suggestions?

2.  I have a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 40GB.  MJ recognizes it when it's plugged into the computer via USB, but I can't see how to transfer tracks from the Nomad to MJ and vice versa.

3.  I have a number of cassettes that I want to convert to MP3.  When I've tried doing this with the cassette player connected to the computer via line-in recording with MJ, I've found that the quality of the MP3 tracks is seriously degraded by pops and clicks which I believe are caused by electrical interference within the computer case.  I can make line-in recordings on the Nomad, encoded either as MP3 or WAV.  Unlike MJ, the Nomad does not recognize the silence between tracks as the end of one track and the start of a new one, which makes labeling tracks more difficult.  Can I transfer a line-in recording from the Nomad to MJ via USB so that MJ treats the silent spaces between tracks as the end of one track and the signal for the start of a new one, as it does with a regular line-in recording from a cassette player to the computer?  If I can do this, are there any special steps I must or should take, either in making the line-in recording to the Nomad or in transfering from the Nomad to MJ?

Thanks.

Steve

RE:Ripping problem; portable questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 10:30:52 am »

BobM,

Not sure for (1)

In regards to (2)..

Either drag and drop the files onto the Nomad Jukebox icon or drag and drop the files to a Playlist under the Nomad Jukebox icon. Once you have done this, if you click on the Nomad Jukebox icon, you should see a queue of the files to transfer and some buttons that give you options and the ability to upload the files.

Also, you can right click and select "Send to" Device and you can send the files that way. You still must click on the Nomad Jukebox icon after you "Send to" and then select upload. "Send to" remembers the last place you did a drag and drop and will send the files there the next time you choose "Send to".

Item (3)....

Using the Nomad Jukebox Plug-in, if you right click on some files, you will have an option to download the files to your PC. However, with the plan you have laid out you still may end up with a less than ideal solution. If you send your cassettes to the Nomad and then from Nomad to the PC, you then would need to use Media Editor to break the one long track into separate tracks. In this process you will have decoded and encoded the files multiple times which may not be a great solution in regards to quality.

Although your plan should work, it might be better to solve the issue with your soundcard and the loss of quality there. Just my two cent opinion.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 11:32:32 am »

What version of MJ?  Please copy system info from MJ Help and paste here.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

BobM

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 12:42:49 pm »

I have MJ 8.0.348

BobM

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 02:01:42 pm »

In further reply:  Media Jukebox  8.0.348
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD K6 2 400 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 224 MB, Free - 128 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

JimH

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 02:13:27 pm »

Check the FAQ on ASPI, please.  Yours is old.
Jim Hillegass

BobM

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2002, 03:49:26 pm »

I don't see any FAQ on ASPI at the Adaptec website.  Do you know where I have to go to check the FAQ?  Should I simply download the latest ASPI driver for Win 98?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2002, 03:55:33 pm »

BobM

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/aspi.html

'Help Me' Peaked The Top 40 Charts At 07 In 1974

Listening to: 'Help Me' from 'Sounds Of The Seventies - 1974' by 'Joni Mitchell' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BobM

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2002, 05:45:07 pm »

I downloaded and installed the latest version of ASPI.  My system info is now:

Media Jukebox  8.0.348

CPU: AMD K6 2 400 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 224 MB, Free - 128 MB

wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.

When I tried to rip, MJ detected the CD and listed the tracks and started to copy and almost immediately stopped and displayed an Information message that said "Open drive failed, parameter is out of range."  This was followed by an Error message that said "Read track failed.  Drive is not opened."  What should I do now?

Also, what can I do to prevent MJ from loading and trying to play a CD whenever I insert one into the drive?  I'd rather select the player manually than have it be the default.

BobM

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2002, 07:18:22 pm »

A further problem: since installing the new version of ASPI I no longer can play CDs on MJ or Creative Play Center.  In fact, the latter no longer recognizes when a CD is in the drive.  How do I go about getting back to my prior installation?

BobM

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2002, 07:18:02 am »

I haven't had a reply to my post of yesterday, so I'm bumping to get to the top of the list.  I'm particularly interested in my last question about how to get back to my original installation, where at least Creative Play Center worked.  I've checked the FAQ and wonder whether reinstalling ASPI from the Windows 98 SE disc would work.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JimH

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2002, 07:22:16 am »

Your aspi32sys file should also be 4.71.

In MJ, try changing the generic option for CD's.

You may have a conflict between different aspi versions.  Searching for all and renaming all but one has worked for others.  The name of the file is wnaspi32.dll.

Reinstalling any software that doesn't work might help.
Jim Hillegass

BobM

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2002, 12:21:47 pm »

JimH:

I can't find the generic option for CDs under Settings - Options.  Where is it?  I also couldn't find any different versions of wnaspi32.dll to rename.  There is only one wnaspi32.dll file in the c:\Adaptec folder (altho there is a wnaspi32.dl_ file listed).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling aspi_v471.exe twice, to no avail.  The first time, I deleted the Adaptec folder from c:\ before reinstalling.  The second time, I not only deleted the folder, but also deleted the Adaptec and Aspi32 folders from my Windows Registry before reinstalling.  On both occasions, in checking with aspichk.exe, I got the message that versions 4.71.1 of APIX.VXD and WNASPI32.DLL were installed and a grayed-out message that "ASPI is properly installed and fully operational."  However, in checking system info in MJ, I still find that Aspi32.sys is N/A.  My current system info is:

Media Jukebox  8.0.355

CPU: AMD K6 2 399 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 224 MB, Free - 114 MB

wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.

As you can see, I've tried the beta version of MJ, also to no avail.

In addition to the foregoing, I tried reinstalling aspi from the Windows 98 SE cd.  I tried twice.  The first time with the Adaptec folder still present in c:\ and the second time with that folder and the registry entries deleted beforehand.  On both occasions I inserted the Windows 98 SE cd in my drive (drive G: on my computer), opened an ms-dos window, and typed: extract/e g:\win98\win98_44.cab wnaspi32.dll, which I understand from the FAQs to be the command.  This resulted in the following message: ERROR: Could not create file in directory.  Since I wasn't sure what the /e referred to in the extract/e command, I tried extract/c (in case it referred to a drive letter), but that didn't work.  Do you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions before I try reinstalling the operating system and giving up on MJ?

datatrader

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2002, 10:57:14 am »

Bob M...
I could be wrong but part of your problem may be with Adaptec's/Roxio's drivers and registry entries. This a documented problem on both Roxios and Microsofts web sites. It caused me numerous problems. My cd drives were constantly disappearing. I finally uninstalled all adaptec software and drivers. However Adaptec is VERY invasive as it makes numerous registry changes that can cause conflicts with other programs. Simply uninstalling Adaptec cd creator will not remove these registry entries. You need to manually remove these registry entries to truly clean your system.

This link refers to this problem while using windows XP but the problem is the same (I use windows 2000 and had the same problem)
PAGE NAME

I uninstalled roxio cd creator, removed all associated registry entries. Then my CD drives and MJ worked beautifully together. I then reinstalled Adaptecs software and all was well for a while then the cd drives disappeared again. I deleted all adaptec software and registry entries again.

Then I downloaded NTI CD Maker version 5 from NTI CD Maker. I chose this software based on excellent reviews: NTI Reviews .But more importantly because the NTI software doesn't screw with your registry like Adaptec/Roxio.
Since purging my system of Adaptec/Roxio and installing NTI's CD Maker. I have had no further problems. MJ now coexists with all my software.

These are the steps I used to delete the registry entries. However you should do your own research at microsofts and roxios web site before proceeding. You should also be sure to have an emegency boot disk available.

Remember I'm using windows 2000... you're using Windows 98 so some of the registry entries may be slightly different... do your research.

These instructions are intended as a guide only... you should download the specific instructions for your operating system before proceeding

WARNING : Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

First uninstall EZ CD creator. Then:

Click Start , and then click Search .
Click All files and folders .
In the All or part of the file name box, type cdr*.sys .
In the Look in list, click Local Hard Drives (C:) , and then click Search .

In the right pane of the Search Results dialog box, rename the following files if they are listed:

Cdr4_2K.sys
Cdralw2k.sys

To do this, right-click a file, and then click Rename on the shortcut menu that appears. Rename the .sys file extension to .old, and then press ENTER.
When you are finished renaming the files, close the Search Results dialog box.
Click Start , and then click Run .
In the Open box, type regedit , and then click OK .

Navigate to the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click the UpperFilters value (if it is present), and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears. Click Yes on the Confirm Value Delete message that appears.

In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click the LowerFilters value (if it is present), and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears. Click Yes on the "Confirm Value Delete" message that appears.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K

On the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click Yes on the "Confirm Key Delete" message that appears.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k
On the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click Yes on the "Confirm Key Delete" message that appears.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf
On the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click Yes on the Confirm Key Delete message that appears.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr
On the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click Yes on the Confirm Key Delete message that appears.

On the File menu, click Exit .

Restart the computer. Hopefully all will be well. Then you can decide if you want to re-install adaptec/roxio software or use another software.

You mileage may vary... Do your research before proceeding...
Good luck

datatrader

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2002, 11:08:29 am »

Bob...
here's a link to check out the issue at Microsoft's site: http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gsfxAdvancedSearch_Query&Product=w98&Queryc=cd drive adaptec&Query=cd drive adaptec&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=
Pages: [1]   Go Up