INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Read/Write [Removable] Tag  (Read 989 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Read/Write [Removable] Tag
« on: June 06, 2007, 12:15:27 am »

I need to be able to read and write to the Removable Tag.

I've recently started archiving off old Video media (that which at least somewhat deserves archiving anyhow) to external hard drives.  I'm storing the hard drives in a safe (unplugged so therefore not spinning) but accessible location.  Then, if I want to play something I just need to find the drive and plug it in.

I'm keeping the files in MC of course, and using it to help me manage the archives.  I can browse the files all in MC that way, either with or separate from the rest of my media.  The way I did this is to name the drives all Drive S in Windows.  I created a custom tag called [Archive ID] which I manually fill with the volume name of the drive (and which is carefully chosen and labeled on the drive itself).  My view schemes look for and either exclude or include files based on the [Volume Name] tag (which is S in MC -- it doesn't see the actual drive name for fixed disks), and then I can sort and filter based on [Archive ID].  Since they're all called S: I obviously wouldn't be able to use two or more of these archival disks at the same time with MC, but that's no big deal.

Working great except for one big problem.

Every time I run Auto-Import with one of the drives connected, it deletes all the files that are one one of the other archival drives!  That's because they're all called drive S, and even with the option set to Yes (protect Network files) since MC can "see" the S:\video\ directory, and see files in there, it deletes the files which it deems "missing".  They aren't missing, they're on a different physical S drive, but MC removes them anyway.  If I don't have any of the drives connected, then it works fine, but if one is there since it can see the drive and the folders (albeit a different one), it assumes they've been deleted.

That's because I can't make the files on an external USB drive considered Removable.  If I could, then MC would exclude them from the "IsMissing" check during the Auto-Import.  It's pretty silly that you can't do this though.  I understand that some people always keep their USB and FireWire disks connected, and that you can't tell the difference between an internal SATA drive and an external one, but this is an easy fix...

Just make the [Removable] tag editable (but keep it like it is otherwise).  Thanks!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up