INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with smartlist rule?  (Read 1997 times)

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
Help with smartlist rule?
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:05:56 pm »

Looking to smartlist duplicate track names but ONLY by different artists.

So far:
"Duplicates of Name" yields all the dup tracks. Good.
"Remove dups of Artist, Name" strips to ONE of each that are same song by same artist.

How do I just remove ALL tracks when they are by the same artist and of the same track name?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with smartlist rule?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 03:28:07 pm »

make a smartlist, dupes, using [media type]=audio ~dup=[artist],[name]

now make a second smartlist using: [media type]=audio ~dup=[name] -p=dupes

-marko.

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 09:45:51 pm »

VERY NICE!

Thank you!  ;D

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

Okay, one more?

How would I pull any one artist out of that smartlist AND all the other duplicate tracks by different artists?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:07:52 pm »

you'd probably want to be building a view scheme around the two search strings.

right click on audio, select 'add view scheme'
in step 1, the first item should be a search list. Add the two strings in blue from the post above. Perhaps call one "dupes by artist" and the other "dupes by name"
Next, still in step 1, add "Name" and group it by, say, 2, and then add a second "Name" entry, followed by artist and album.

in step 4, enter ~dup=[name]

You should wind up with something that looks like so:

which should allow to get at pretty much any combo of files you want.

A bit pushed for time, so I've skimmed over the basics. hopefully you can follow what's going on, though if you need more help, just shout...

-marko.

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 04:21:29 pm »

I created it exactly as you suggest.

It seems to work. If I'm following and did it right, selecting "dupes by artist" shows me only tracks that are duplicated by different artists - not dupe tracks by the same artist (on diff albums or whatever).

Is that right?

Thank you very much for your help.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:15:03 am »

I set them the other way around...

1st of all, I see that I forgot to mention that this view scheme will only work the way you want if you set it to filter in both directions. While you're in there, adding ~sort=[name],[artist] to step 4 might also be helpful to you.

You should still keep the 'dupes' playlist we made earlier too, as it's referenced by the view scheme. I keep lists I utilise in viewschemes in a playlist group of their own as it helps to keep the tree tidy.

How would I pull any one artist out of that smartlist AND all the other duplicate tracks by different artists?
This is do-able, but you'd kind of need to track your place in the view scheme because the foundation for the view scheme is the [name] field, and you're switching focus from [name] to [artist].
perhaps images would help better here:

I open the view scheme and pick "dupes by name" from the search pane:
This will show all tracks that have the same name, but have different artists. Any tracks that have the same name and the same artist are not shown.
In the example below, I have a few different versions of "All Along The Watchtower" by Bob Dylan, but none of them are shown.

If I now scroll down and select Rod Stewart in the Artist pane, the results are cropped to just those Rod Stewart tracks from the 'dupes by name' list:

Now, we know that each Rod Stewart track shown has a duplicate by at least one other artist, so pick one. I chose "Forever Young" and the list is reduced to a single track:

To see the duplicates for this track, scroll to the top of the artist pane and select "All"

Finally, changing to the 'dupes by artist' list will show me all the versions of "forever young" by Bob Dylan.

This will only work with filtering in both directions enabled, which can make it a little harder to follow. For example:
If there were no duplicate artist tracks for Forever Young, the list will be empty.
If you start in the artist pane, and select Rod Stewart, then select the 'dupes by name' entry, the search is run on the rod stewart tracks currently listed, meaning that the Forever Young track in the example would not have been shown.
It's not ideal, but I'm sure if you play with it a bit, you'll soon see what it's doing and be able to quickly arrive at the results you're after.

-marko.

gregoryx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama eater!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 10:19:42 pm »

Wow! I had no idea one could filter in both directions.

Thank you very much for the excellent direction and examples.

I'm "on it" to see if mine works that way.

Thanks again!
:)

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 12:50:40 pm »

This is cool. I reproduced it to try and figure out what "filter in both directions" means to describe it in the help file.
But alas,  I'm short on time.
So...

I'd like to include a clear description, perhaps even an example of what this option does.

DOes anyone have a very very simple view scheme that clearly illustrates the functionality of "filter in both directions"? Something small, perhaps 3 columns, and that when the option is unchecked, it's obvious what it does?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up