INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Transfers Incomplete  (Read 1831 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
iPod Transfers Incomplete
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:02:33 am »

Anyone having difficulty in getting playlists and songs to completely transfer to the gen 5 video iPod (30gb). I am having the following problems (tested on two different PCs):

1) Sometimes MC12 just hangs during the transfer of a playlist. Have to kill it.
2) Sometimes MC reboots the PC during the transfer.
3) Ocassionally, when I CAN get through all the transfers, many of the songs are truncated. (Ending before the actual track time. The track time reported on the iPod is LESS than the time in MC).

Setup:
XP SP2
Original files in APE format
Tried both VBR and 192kbs conversions
In all cases of crash or hangs, I reset the iPod prior to attempting another transfer
Tried multiple PCs, one crashes, the other will invariable hang at some point.

Did not want to post this in the "device" section since many of the iPod related responses there are related to MC11 and older versions. Did not want this to get lost.

SwellGuy

Re: iPod Transfers Incomplete
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:38:50 am »

What version of iPod firmware are you running? Try running the latest if you aren't already doing so.

[Edit]
Also, make sure you're running the latest version of MC12. We fixed a bug that could cause this several builds back.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:56:29 am »

iTunes indicates the firmware on the iPod is up to date. I was using whatever build of MC12 that was publically available as of May 16th (maybe 239 or 240?). I remember the date because I tried to load up my new iPod right before I left for vacation and I wound up having to burn all the playlists to CD for the trip :( Were the fixes made after that date?

I'll try again tonight with .251

Thanks!

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:22:43 pm »

iTunes indicates the firmware on the iPod is up to date. I was using whatever build of MC12 that was publically available as of May 16th (maybe 239 or 240?). I remember the date because I tried to load up my new iPod right before I left for vacation and I wound up having to burn all the playlists to CD for the trip :( Were the fixes made after that date?

I'll try again tonight with .251

Thanks!

Tried again with .251 still have the same problem. MC either freezes, crashes or reboots the PC. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I've tried enabling directory caching, disabling it, changing the number of concurrent encodings, etcetera. Sometimes it will get through a number of playlists, sometimes it will crash after only a few. I reset the iPod each time MC crashes and reboot the PC. Still no luck.

Am I the only one having trouble??

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
Re: iPod Transfers Incomplete/MC hangs/Crashes or reboots PC
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:52:33 pm »

bumpity bump. Anyone??

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 06:09:01 pm »

Could you actually verify the firmware of your iPod on the iPod itself?  I believe it's in the Settings>About info.

I've had a few transfer issues lately, but not what you're describing.

I know it takes a little time, but even if you verify that you're using the latest firmware (1.2.1 I believe), I'd try doing an iPod "restore" via the apple software, followed by a full re-initialization in MC, then a full sync in MC.  This has been known to solve various issues in the past, so it's certainly worth a try.

Please let us know what happens.

Larry

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 06:26:38 pm »

Could you actually verify the firmware of your iPod on the iPod itself?  I believe it's in the Settings>About info.

I've had a few transfer issues lately, but not what you're describing.

I know it takes a little time, but even if you verify that you're using the latest firmware (1.2.1 I believe), I'd try doing an iPod "restore" via the apple software, followed by a full re-initialization in MC, then a full sync in MC.  This has been known to solve various issues in the past, so it's certainly worth a try.

Please let us know what happens.

Larry

Yup - It's the firmware is 1.2.1  I'll try the restore/reinitialize and re-sync. We'll know n the morning if it's fixed. I've got a lot to sync.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

THAT appears to have fixed it! Looks like the "restore" step is what may have done the trick. I was able to get over 800 songs encoded and synced over multiple playlists. I'll try a bunch of the songs tomorrow to insure none of them were truncated as in previous build(s).

THANKS for your help Larry!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:14:10 am »

THAT appears to have fixed it! Looks like the "restore" step is what may have done the trick. I was able to get over 800 songs encoded and synced over multiple playlists. I'll try a bunch of the songs tomorrow to insure none of them were truncated as in previous build(s).

THANKS for your help Larry!

No problem -- that's great news.  Sometimes things just get corrupted in ways that require everything to be cleaned and set up from scratch again.

Thanks for letting us know that it worked out.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up