INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing MusicMatch Tags (again)  (Read 4613 times)

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
Importing MusicMatch Tags (again)
« on: July 16, 2007, 11:05:57 pm »

OK, I just sprung for Media Center 12, moving from MusicMatch JB.  The 30-day trial convinced me. 

How do I import the Featured Artists field from MMJB-stamped MP3 files? 
I have created a Featured Artists user field, but import or update hasn't worked for me. 
I'm good with Ratings and Preferences - all is imported and converted fine. 

But it's those Featured Artists.  How can I move them to MC? 
Thanks. 

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Importing MusicMatch Tags (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:43:07 pm »

There might be an easier way to do this but here's what I would try, if you can...

In MMJB move your "Featured Artist" to a common field...like "Comments"

In MC select all your files & use the "Update from Tags command ((Right click on selected files > Library Tools > Update Tags (from Library))
In MC create a custom field called "Featured Artist" (I like "Artist (Featured) or (Artist (feat.)) (Options > Library & Folders > User Library Fields > Add Field...)
In MC select all your files and move your "comment" field into your "Featured Artist" field (Right click on selected files > Library Tools > Move / Copy Fields)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:38:33 am »

If you know the name of the tag field, you can add a new field with that name to MC.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:04:25 am »

I recently moved from MM10 and used a process similar to what 221bbs proposed.  In MM10 I sorted by the special purpose field (say featured artists) and then mass inserted (for each artist individually) the same information into a new MM10 field that I knew was recognized by MC12 (you test to find one).  There appears to be a bug in MM10 (at least the build I was using) that did not always write the tag to the file (sometimes the new field was only in the library - but it was usually added to the file).  Once in the file, it is picked up by MC12 and the directions by 221bbs seem pretty good.
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:16:57 am »

Why are folks all of a sudden moving from MusicMatch?  Anything you can share?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:24:55 am »

If I have understood correctly Yahoo has changed the original Musicmatch program to "nagware" and offers Yahoo! Music Jukebox as an upgrade. This Music Jukebox has a reduced feature set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicmatch_Jukebox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Music_Jukebox

thorathome,

Could you upload a small sample file somewhere? There may be a way to convert the tags to a compatible format with a separate tagging program.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:22:18 am »

Thanks, Alex.  I can send you a MusicMatch-tagged MP3 file with 'Featured Artists' filled in easily.  But to where? 

JackWallStreet, I do not know how to mass copy one field value to another field in MusicMatch.  If it's possible, please tell.  I have had good success with Preference and Ratings fields.  But for some reason the Featured Artists field does not behave similarly.  So I'm still stuck with the problem. 

JimH, People are switching from MMJB because the product is no longer supported by Yahoo.  MMJB doesn't work properly under Vista, I am told, and it has, in fact, become 'nagware' with Yahoo urging everyone to move to their new, inferior MMBJ.

I am pleased with J River, and only have this one barrier to adoption - moving my 12,000 song library to J River, and keeping all the key info I have stored in Featured Artists. 

Thanks, Alex.   

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:34:52 am »

Thanks, Alex.  I can send you a MusicMatch-tagged MP3 file with 'Featured Artists' filled in easily.  But to where?

You could try a service like this: http://sendspace.com/

For copyright reasons you should use only a short clip of a file or something that is considered freeware, like a freely available sample from some website. (MC has a media editor that can cut files.)

Tag the sample with MMJB, upload and post the file address here.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:50:29 am »

Thanks, Alex.  Try this http://www.sendspace.com/file/kcb94b
Filename = 32 Praetorious Pass from Terpsichore.mp3  1.7MB
Featured Artists field = Lexar Bose Collection

Thor

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 12:55:49 pm »

I tested the file. MC already supports that field. No external programs are needed. Here's a step by step guide:

1. Create a new user field in Options > User Library Fields > Add Field...

Name the new field exactly as "Track Artist". You can use any desired name in the "Display" dialog box. This "Display" name shows up after you have added the field to view schemes and  "Action Window > Tag".

2. Make this new field visible in view schemes and/or AW > Tag.
- For example, Top menu: View > View Settings > Customize Current View > Columns To Show > Add...

In this screenshot I have added a "Track Artist" column to Playing Now:

If the files are already imported you need to update the library info with the "Update Library (from tags)" tool.

EDIT

Avoid saving tags with MC before you have created the new library field. MC overwrites all comment fields on a tag write and if the field is not present in the library it will be lost.

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:42:11 pm »

Awesome, thanks, Alex.  I appreciate the time you spent figuring this out.  It worked for me. 

For us MusicMatch JukeBox refugees, you may wish to publish the mapping from MMJB fields to your own or to custom User fields.  Some are obvious.  Others, like this one, are not. 

This is great.   I'm happy to be making the move. 

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 02:12:59 pm »

Here are a list of Music Match fields that will import to  (& export from) MC 12, if the user field is first created, as described above by Alex B:

Tempo
Mood
Situation
Bios
Preference
Lyricist
Original Lyricist
Original Artist
Initial Key
Subtitle
Instruments
Featured Performers
Classical Genre
Track Artist (Featured Artist in MM)

JimN

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 02:20:53 pm »

This is very helpful.  Thanks. 

jack wallstreet

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 04:37:02 pm »

I had a custom field in MM10 that wouldn't come over so I "copied" it over to "conductor" in MM10 which did come over to MC12, so I wonder if the previous list of fields is totally complete. 

There was a previous question on how I "mass copied".  If I remember (seems like ages ago), super tagging in MM10 supports mass changes.  I believe that's what I did.  You sort to identify those records in the old field that have the same data, then use mass tagging (by typing it in once) to copy to all those records.  Then you go the next group of records that have the same data (but different from the first group) and do it again.  Isn't instant, but in may case it wasn't that bad.  And MC12 is worth it.
John

jimn

• World Citizen
  • You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

I had a custom field in MM10 that wouldn't come over so I "copied" it over to "conductor" in MM10 which did come over to MC12, so I wonder if the previous list of fields is totally complete. 

The list of fields didn't include ones that already exist in MC12, like "conductor"; it only includes fields that need to be added. Many fields should import automatically.

JimN
Pages: [1]   Go Up