INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEXT Media Center Checkbox  (Read 1745 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
THE NEXT Media Center Checkbox
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:23:12 am »

Like all products, you gotta have the checkmark in the major classification area when being compared.

I think one of the next BIG feature addition--you know, a whole 'nother feature to list in the feature list--should be essentially the theater interface, but provided through a web site interface.  The XBOX media center has this and it really would be a great add-on.  I sincerely believe it should be provided as a plugin--automatically installed, obviously, that could be enabled on a port just like library server--with a username/password.

I even believe you could simply write a converter that would take the existing theater view and simply reprint it to a web site!  Then, the theater view skin would automatically be used for the web interface--unless you had another selector under the plugin.

The feature must be able to start automatically for it to be useful.  Since most workstations aren't running a web server, using port 80 would be great by default.  Then, all I'd have to do is type in the computer name or IP and I'll be able to control it.

DarkPenguin

Re: THE NEXT Media Center Checkbox
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 09:39:30 am »

remote server?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:11:27 am »

remote server?

It doesn't look like the Theater View.

It would be great if J River could separate the functionality from the browser interface. Currently the remote server code and its served html interface is clued in the same dll file.

A possibility to adjust the html part separately would allow creating nice "skins".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:52:13 am »

Sorry but what is remote server and where is it located?  I am not at home now so can't look...maybe it's obvious.  I just don't remember seeing it.  What does it allow?

laufen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:19:49 pm »

Tool->Options->Start Up
   Start Up Actions 
      Run Remote Server on port: 80

benn600

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:32:15 pm »

lol.
Thanks for pointing out that feature I had no idea about.  I guess the only additional desire would be to enhance the visual interface a bit.  I can imagine an office where everyone likes similar music.  They'd had a server computer running with a big stereo and speakers around the office.  Then, everyone can participate in playing music!  I bet the J River office does that!

This is great!  Wonder if it works while being a client over library server.  I'll find out tomorrow at work.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 03:38:32 am »

There should be a better skin for this somewhere. I do not know exactly where, but it have been mentioned in a post within the last week I think.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 06:22:21 am »

There is another thread about this. It is in the plug-in development. Some very smart guy has created a plug in using HTML/AJAX to provide a very slick interface. It is Beta and I am not sure as to his intentions longer term. I have played with the beta and it is very good, but too heavy to work on a PDA/Smartphone.

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

benn600

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 08:40:05 am »

When you first go to the page, it should let you pick the skin.  The other main interface view options include about 5 skins each by default.  Would be nice to have more here.

I have a lot of CSS/HTML/web development experience.  Does anyone want to give me some idea about where to start?  I could start by just modifying the existing HTML pages in place--but where would I look?  I looked around and found tons of HTML files but nothing seemed to work when I modified them.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers
Pages: [1]   Go Up