INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Control Using CE device  (Read 609 times)

Tofer

Remote Control Using CE device
« on: August 22, 2002, 04:08:35 pm »

I have a Toshiba e310 (which I love!) that I use as a remote control for the TV, Stereo, etc.  I also have an IRDA receiver on my computer.  Anyone know how I can configure my PDA remote to work with MJ?

cjdshaw

RE:Remote Control Using CE device
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 05:33:33 pm »

If you can network the two machines together over IrDA, you could in theory use WebRemote or Glissando to control MJ. Windows direct connection over IrDA is pretty flaky though and not designed to work over distance more that a couple of feet.

You could also try downloading Girder. It has an unsupported feature which lets you use an IrDA port as a remote control receiver. If it works on your machine, you could use it to convert remote signals from your PDA to keystrokes for Media Jukebox.

Probably the best option, if you have a spare $35 and a serial port, is to buy something like an IrMan. This is designed to receive remote control signals and is directly supported my MJ and Girder. Lots of people on this forum (myself included) use this setup for their HTPC and can provide advice for setting it up.

Good luck

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
RE:Remote Control Using CE device
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 09:37:15 pm »

For IR get an IRMan and Girder...

If you have 802.11 card then search out Netremote which can emulate a pronto for the design and layout and communicate bi-directionaly...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up