INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BlueRay - MC12?  (Read 1420 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
BlueRay - MC12?
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:00:36 pm »

I See Blockbuster is endorsing Blue-ray.

Does Blue Ray Play In MC12? (I have no clue)

Is it really worth the chunk of change?

Does it support DVD?

Anyone Have One Yet?

I guess a scratch in the DVD Is the same in Blue-ray (it does not work good) or is there some improvement dealing wish scratches with the blue-ray disks?

i recently plunked down $29.98 for a DVD that they are going to replace but it looks like they thru it around the wearhouse for a few days.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bob

• Administrator
Re: BlueRay - MC12?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 01:13:26 pm »

This doesn't address most of your questions but I thought it was interesting regarding the durability and scratching question.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/16/blu-ray-disc-coatings-starting-to-rot/

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »

I'm not ready for high definition quite yet.  I take pride in being able to backup my purchased DVD collection while providing me with a beautiful interface for viewing the content.  Unfortunately, there is not yet a good method for copying Blu-Ray discs to the hard drive.  I guess I'll make the transition as soon the movie studios and Blu-Ray folks release a video extraction program.  It's too bad that they make all these troubles for themselves by introducing all this special encryption on the disks...that of which must be decrypted by players and their own extraction software.

Maybe they should just save time with the next format and make it so users can just copy the files in Explorer so they don't have to invest time in creating a video extraction program for their customers.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 02:24:20 pm »

BluRay as such doesn't work yet because there's no Micro$oft SDK for it, as far as I know. I believe you need to use one of the sanctioned players hoo, line and sinker (PowerDVD & WinDVD are the only ones I can remember right now).
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 03:19:14 pm »

Scratching is more of a problem if its on the label side than the other. Otherwise, i think blockbuster can polish them.

That blu-ray rot problem is bit curious, its known to happen due to poor storage (with any optical media ) in very humid environments or if the same happened at the manufacturing stage which would be shocking if true. Sony do not need this now.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 04:39:57 pm »

If you have ripped a Blu-Ray disc using AnyDVD HD, then you should be able to play it back with Media Center provided you have the correct codecs. There are instructions on Theatertek's forum  regarding necessary splitters and codecs. The soon to be released HD 2400 and 2600 cards from ATI also provide hardware decoding for H.264 nd VC-1 and can keep processor use to under 10% with a Sempron 2800.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 07:37:07 pm »

I'm sorry but I had no idea a readymade package was available for easily ripping HD discs now.  I'm wondering if the movie companies are creating fake packages, like this one, and then posting them -- basically, viruses.  lol.  That would be quite interesting.  I'll download and save the exe but won't run it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up