INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Media Center 12 interface with the Freebox HD (France)  (Read 1602 times)

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
Can Media Center 12 interface with the Freebox HD (France)
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:53:51 am »

Hello,

I'm not sure how many people know what the Freebox HD is, or own one, but here in France the company Free.fr offer an ADSL solution for internet, telephone and TV. This comes with an Wifi ADSL modem router + a Wifi media box that connects to your stereo and TV.

With special software you can run on your PC, you can stream media files to play back on your TV and Stereo.

I wanted to know if it would be possible to replace this special software with J River Media Center 12 to do the streaming. Anyone know if and how this would be possible?

Thanks,
Kwake

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Can Media Center 12 interface with the Freebox HD (France)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:37:58 am »

Is this what you are referring to ?

It appears to allow you to see on the TV what media is stored on your PC by using VLC to stream from the PC. If you look at the way the VLC player is configured i suppose you could get MC to stream in a similar manner as well, but the interface you work with will be that provided by the freebox.

kinda like how it works with the Tivo.

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 01:36:53 pm »

Thanks Hit_NY yes this is what I already have installed. Actually I'm using a customised solution based on the same thing, called HomePlayer (http://homeplayer.free.fr/), However cool it is, it has it's problems, including problems with ID3 tag standards and playlists for my songs as well as slideshows for pics and issues with some DVD rips to HD.

So what I was hoping to do is check here if anyone has done what you mention, and get MC to stream like VLC does - but to use a Media Center 12 interface (like hairstyle) instead...

Hope this is possible.

Cheers,
Kwake

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 02:08:45 pm »

So what I was hoping to do is check here if anyone has done what you mention, and get MC to stream like VLC does - but to use a Media Center 12 interface (like hairstyle) instead...
I doubt it would be possible to do that unless you use theater view, which means a connection from your pc video card to the tv.

Otherwise you have to use whatever player is on the freebox and MC will stream the data it asks for, but then you are stuck with the GUI that this player offers and i dont see any advantage MC will offer over VLC in this case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up