INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC won't recognise m4a tags or play m4a encoded songs [solved]  (Read 1112 times)

Eddienyc1

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

I encountered this problem previously on another computer and cannot remember how I was able to resolve it. I've just installed MC 12 on a new laptop and pointed it to the same music library as my other computer (external harddrive), but this new installation does not recognise any of the tags on the m4a files, and crashes every time I try to play one of them. They same files process fine in the install on my other computer, as well as in itunes. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe

I think if you install quicktime or itunes MC will use it's engine to play back mp4 files. You can also download k-lite codec pack from www.codecguide.com

ccfoodog

• Recent member

I just ran into this as well.  Previously I only had flac files ripped with MC and m4p files from iTunes.  Recently iTunes allowed you to convert some of your music to m4a files which I did.

The files are correctly imported into MC.  You can see they point to the correct path/file.  They play fine under iTunes and the m4p files work correctly under iTunes and MC 12.

What happens when you try to play an m4a file is that MC says "Buffering..." for a few seconds, then it skips to the next song.

My setup:

Vista Ultimate 64-bit, updates current
MC 12.0.279
iTunes 7.3.1.3
QT 7.2

MC logfile

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

If you have DirectShow playback enabled for M4A files, then MC will use DirectShow to try to render them instead of using Quicktime.  So... There are two options: A) disable DirectShow playback for M4A, or B) install compatible DirectShow filters.

There is a full guide here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ccfoodog

• Recent member

I checked the Directshow association in Tools --> Options --> Playback --> Video--> DirectShow Playback Settings for m4a files.  They were associated to Directshow.  I un-associated them and all is well now.

Thanks!

-john
Pages: [1]   Go Up