INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library organisation advice, please  (Read 1132 times)

sherbs

• World Citizen
Library organisation advice, please
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:00:32 am »

I know this had been discussed before, just can't find it.

I'm trying to do some serious organisation of my music library but have hit a wall when it comes to tracks that can be included in many different releases.
A track can be a single, appear on an album, a live album, a compilation and then re-released as a single. Each instance can have different release dates, covers and lyrics.

At the moment I'm thinking of adding extra library fields like Single Cover, Album 2 Cover, Album 3 Cover, Single Release Date etc and using smartlists but this seems a bit clunky. Then there's the question of embedding tags in the file, which I like to do. How would that work? How would I dilplay Lyrics 2 in one view and Lyrics in another?

Am I thinking along the right lines or has MC12 got some hidden talents?

Thanks for any ideas.

Edit: forget the live albums, that would be a different track anyway. Forget lyrics for the same reason. I think my brain needs a reboot  :)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library organisation advice, please
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:02:23 am »

Yes, this is something we have requested for years, something like an alias so we don't have to have duplicate files since they are in different albums. The consensus always seems to be though since disk space is cheap keep the duplicate files. It sure would be nice to get a better solution though.
Jeff

221bBS

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:15:39 pm »

I was just thinking about duplicate files and how MC could solve the problem. Maybe MC can make a new files for these duplicate files. A simple text file ending in maybe .mcd which directs mc to the master file and holds the different tag info.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gappie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:57:37 pm »

for me , having duplicates or maybe not, remasters and stuf, having duplicate files on the hard disk is the easiest solution.maybe this thread gives a nice idea for organization, it did for me. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40052.0

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:29:55 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions even if the threads are 2-3 years old! One even mentions that this is something they could put into MC12, when they start working on it  :-\. I guess multiple copies of the file is still the way to go at the moment.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up