INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I prevent Windows Media Player from modifying my mp3s?  (Read 1273 times)

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.

Hello, I have a question I don't think anyone's asked before.  Sometimes, instead of double-clicking on an mp3 file, I right click and play it in Windows Media Player (v10.00.00.4036).  This is for when I want to hear a certain song, but don't want to have it taken off rotation from time-sensitive smartlists (songs not played in a week, etc.).  But sometimes (I can't always repeat it, I think), WMP modifies the file in some subtle way that I can't put my finger on.  All I know is that the modified by date has changed and when I try to sync my iPod, MC12 wants to delete and reupload the songs that I've played.  It's just a pet peeve of mine and I'm wondering if there was some way WMP would just be less intrusive and not modify my fricken files.  I have absolutely everything on the Library tab unchecked, but it doesn't make a difference, it seems.

Also, I recently upgraded to the most recent version of MC12 in a long time, so I don't know if it still does this, but another pet peeve of mine is that when I change the ratings for songs on my iPod, when I go to sync, MC12 has updated the files with the new rating, but it wants to reupload the songs.  It wasn't this way before, back in the days of MC10 and my 3g iPod.  I don't know what would happen, but MC would read the new ratings, update the local file and it wouldn't need to delete and reupload.

I'll appreciate any help (or changes for the next build?).  Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I prevent Windows Media Player from modifying my mp3s?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:07:12 pm »

re. WMP:
Look on the 'Privacy' tab and uncheck "update my music files by retrieving media info from the internet" and that ought to take care of that side of things.

-marko.

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 04:14:55 am »

That option is already unchecked.  "Acquire licenses automatically for protected content" is checked, but mp3s aren't protected.

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:30:43 am »

Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs  ;D

I never liked Leno either, but it's hard to hate someone who digs steam powered vintage autos....

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up