INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pix01 Question  (Read 1097 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Pix01 Question
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:32:43 pm »

Is there a way to have Pix01 send the output to a local folder?  Since I have my own web server, I would like an easy way to publish pictures but would rather have it all on my own server.  Then, perhaps it could provide a link as well to the full quality since I would be very willing to host large files for my own purposes.  I have direct network share access so no FTP efforts would be necessary.

dcwebman

Re: Pix01 Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:17:31 am »

One thing you can do instead of using Pix01 is use the Create Web Gallery function. Select some images and right-click to select Send To - Email/Web - Create Web Gallery. Then you can even create your own template to have the output pages look exactly like you want. You should be able just select the Save to Local Directory option.
Jeff

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:19:33 am »

edit: what dcwebman said!! ^^^ :)

for this, you need to use the "Create Web Gallery" tool that can be found on the "Send to..." menu.

You can choose a template, and also elect to save to a local folder without ftp upload.
I'm sure that at least one of the available templates provides links to the original picture, I can't remember off hand which one. It is possible to mod the templates to get what you want, but the process is not easy to track.

I could let you have this template if you like, but if you want to use it, you will need to create a few custom library fields first. Let me know if you're interested.

The disadvantages of the web gallery tool when compared with pix01 are that the process does not live in the action window, and MC can get a little unresponsive while creating large web galleries (white screens etc. are not uncommon)

-marko.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:14:29 am »

Thanks for pointing that out.  I won't need to mess around with it until I suddenly want to publish a web gallery.

So how does it work as far as providing a top-level library lister?  It would be nice if MC would provide an index file that would list all galleries in that folder.  So domain.com/gallery ... MC would create an index.html file and then a folder for the particular gallery.  Upon creating another gallery, MC would ASK...do you want to append your existing gallery or overwrite it?  Append would update the index.html file to add the new gallery and overwrite would just replace that index file but leave the real picture gallery alone.

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:46 am »

Sounds like a good plug-in for you to write to create a top level lister.  ;)  When I get the time to actually get all my different website photos in MC, I plan on trying to convert my existing tool's output for the different websites to use MC templates and try to accomplish the same look. I know for my existing tool, I just manually update the top level page. In my case, I don't know if I would use an automated way since the different websites have different formatted top pages so that would require an extra template just for that page to try and do it automatically.

But depending on your web development skills, you should easily be able to accomplish what you want. Just keep creating your galleries under the same folder. Then the main list page whether it be in ASP, PHP, or something similar could look at the system's folders for the current location and dynamically list the gallery folders it finds.
Jeff

benn600

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:37:07 am »

Yes, believe me I've considered it.  It wouldn't be tough at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up