INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do people control the volume of files with more than 2 audio channels?  (Read 2152 times)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe

in anticipation of some changes in the video playback ive been reconfiguring mc for video. one of the things that i can not get to work is a volume control that controls the volume of all channels playing back from within mc. is there something im missing in the codecs (cccp), or mc , or is that not possible at all.

thanks
gab

gappie

Re: controling the volume of all channels
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 04:15:45 pm »

let me change my question.

how do people control the volume of files with more than 2 audio channels like dolby surround?

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I'm not sure I follow....

Do you have MC set to internal or system volume?  I think the Internal volume control doesn't work with external decoder filters (such as FFDSHOW or whatever via DirectShow).  I always keep mine set to System.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

Perhaps you are asking about controlling volume of individual channels?

FFDShow Audio Decoder allows you to control six different channels.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

gappie

thanks glynor,
maybe this does get me somewhere. i have it on internal. there it only works on the first two channelsit leaves the other channels untouched. system volume does nothing for me. that has something to do with my soundcard, a rme fireface 800. a card used for pro audio recording. i dont see systemvolume work with ffdshow. it just does nothing. ill search further.

gappie

Perhaps you are asking about controlling volume of individual channels?

FFDShow Audio Decoder allows you to control six different channels.
thanks yabing. i know that i can do that with ffd show. if i could find a way to change the master volume from the ffd mixer with my remote i would be happy.  :)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Are you still using an RME Fireface 800 with XP? (edit: I was typing while you posted. I see are still using it.) If so, your issue isn't related to Media Center, but to your soundcard drivers. I don't think the RME can control all channels. They did release some new drivers on July 4, 2007. Newer drivers than what you have may allow for better volume control.

I have also read that you need to use the RME drivers control panel for volume control with Vista since the RME drivers bypass Vista's controls.

gappie

Are you still using an RME Fireface 800 with XP? (edit: I was typing while you posted. I see are still using it.) If so, your issue isn't related to Media Center, but to your soundcard drivers. I don't think the RME can control all channels. They did release some new drivers on July 4, 2007. Newer drivers than what you have may allow for better volume control.

I have also read that you need to use the RME drivers control panel for volume control with Vista since the RME drivers bypass Vista's controls.
Thanks. i have the new drivers. i think that the rme drivers also bypass the xp contols, and with a reason. but i noticed that they changed some things in the new drivers. maybe i should see what is going on on their news group. one interesting thing to mention is that i can control the volume of all channels when i use zoom player or cyberwhatever (i dont have that anymore).
im not planning to change soundcards. i think the soundquality for playback and recording of the rme is really great.

gappie

btw, i use asio for playing back my audio files. that is never goin through the system volume from windows? right?

gappie

for me it would be very nice if mc would consider to let the internal volume control also work on all channels.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up