INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: server streaming vs. playing  (Read 795 times)

carlos

server streaming vs. playing
« on: August 20, 2002, 07:39:09 am »

hello, i just downloaded the program and am evaluating it.

apparently, the server module streams its audio to the client...is there a way to just make it play back on the host machine instead of streaming it?

what i want is the server to run on a monitorless PC hooked up to my audio system, and then play it remotely via other laptpops or PCs.  i.e. i want the UI to run on the various clients (which it does) and the audio playback to stay on the server (as opposed to streaming & playing the songs on the clients).

i can use terminal services (aka remote desktop) and control a copy of the program on the server machine to achieve the effect i want, but then again i could do this with any jukebox program...i was hoping that the server module in mediajukebox would free me from having to use terminal services.

is there a setting i can change to get my desired behavior?  or is this a feature request?  thanks!

carlos

RE:server streaming vs. playing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 08:00:39 am »

addendum: i've downoaded the web remote plugin; this is *almost* what i'd need, the issue is that it apparently requires the jukebox client to be running on the server.  instead, what i'm looking for is a true windows service that starts when windows boots and does not require a user to be logged on.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 08:11:18 am »

I'm afraid you've found the two principal ways we do anything close to what you want.

There are a couple of programs that use the webremote plug-in to add a more sophisticated interface.  These are NetRemote and Glissando.  You could find them here with a search.

Also, though it isn't exactly what you want, take a look at the slimp3 device at http://www.slimdevices.com .  We may add support for it in MJ.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Marcel Vogel

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2002, 05:06:23 am »

Why not making this feature in Version 9. It is almost the same as the streaming feature only let's play the music on the server and not on the client.

I want this feature also.

Carlos: Which version of Windows are you connecting to, because when I connect with my windows XP laptop to my Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Server I get no sound on my server..
Pages: [1]   Go Up