INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nero's M4A files won't convert  (Read 2070 times)

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Nero's M4A files won't convert
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:59:27 am »

I am trying to get some music together for a trip I'm taking today. I can't get the latest MC12 to burn anything.

My files are m4a. I am trying to burn mp3, which failed. Then I tried WMA, which failed. The error message when trying to convert to WMA was a little more informative. It said it had a problem transferring the file (I tested with a single file.) because I did not have the proper DirectShow filters installed. That's hogwash. I've been playing these files just fine through the library. The equality graphics jumping up and own too. It's DirectX.

So I go to DirectShow Playback Options to check what the DirectShow filters for m4a are. When I click Select Filters, I see the following...

Runtime error!

Program: <path to MC12>\Media Center 12.exe

R6025
- pure virtual function call

In the background, I can see the Select Filters window pop up, but the program is going for the big crash and shutdown.

Now I begin my trip with no new tunes.  :(

FYI, I'm using FFDShow revision 1058 3/22/07 13:34:32  My splitter is Haali Media Splitter 1.7.189.11.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Pure Virtual Function Call Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:11:17 am »

I discovered the exact steps to reproduce this.

If I select the file type in the file types list box first, and then click Select Filters, boom. If I don't select one first and just right click on it and then Select Filters, it's fine.

Of course, I say this and now I can't remove the filters I've chosen. It consistently crashes. Grrr....

None of this fixes the transcoding failure of course, which is another problem.

The above applies to build 151 and 159.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:36:08 am »

I think you may have a bad filter installed.  That dialog enumerates filters, so if there's a bad one, it could cause a crash.

It might be worth trying to uninstall Haali or other filter packs to see if we can track it down.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 03:24:45 am »

Ok, I uninstalled my mp4 splitters and ffdshow. I installed K-Like CODEC Pack Standard edition. It has a clever installation program that finds possible conflicts and requests the conflicting software be uninstalled. I followed all recommendations. After installation, it found two filter problems and recommended I remove the registry entries. I did.

I have some m4a files I created using Nero's tool. I am trying to convert to mp3. I get the following error message:
Failed to convert 1 file. Please ensure your file exists, and are of a supported format.

It is a supported format. I can play the song without a problem. Visuals present too.

Some additional information. The error appears right away. I can convert to WAV successfully. mp3, all varieties, seem to fail. OGG looks like it converts. It creates a file, but it doesn't play. It converts to APE with no errors, but creates a 0k file. Converting to WMA throws this error up quickly:

Failed to play X:\blah blah\blah
You may not have installed on your computer DirectShow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play. Please install appropriate filters and try again.

<sigh> The m4a file decodes fine. I can play the file. I can convert to WAV!

What's the magic to make this work? I am trying to get Format Conversion to work because I know without it I can't create the music CDs I want, which are mp3 files.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 03:32:09 am »

What is the clever installation program?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

What is the clever installation program?

See my message...

I installed K-Like CODEC Pack Standard edition. It has a clever installation program that finds possible conflicts and requests the conflicting software be uninstalled.

Ok, K-Like should be K-Lite, but Google can figure out the misspell.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Nero's M4A files won't convert
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 05:38:19 pm »

I have more information to add to the mystery. When I convert an m4a file to WAV with MC, the file is playable, but cannot be converted because it can't be parsed.

I put the file through GSpot. It recognizes it. The Audio section says No Codec Required. I click "1" in Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests. I right click on the first graph and then "Render This Graph." The result is "Audio Render OK." I click "2" and the filter still renders correctly.

I take the wave created by Media Center and try to feed it to NeroEnc. It fails saying it cannot parse the file. If I take an m4a and decode it with NeroDec, the wave file correctly encodes with NeroEnc. No parsing error.

Another check I made was to run check my system using the Sherlock Codec checker. No errors appeared.

Any ideas?

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Nero's M4A files won't convert
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:26:52 pm »

<bump>

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Nero's M4A files won't convert
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:22 pm »

I had a problem a while ago converting m4a files here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40755.

You may want to look into the filter I installed from the site Alex suggested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up