INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support of MCE Remote in MC  (Read 1690 times)

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Support of MCE Remote in MC
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:42:46 am »

Most things seem to be pretty much covered for the MCE remote now - I don't use the REC button so not sure if that's working, but other than that the following I feel would be extremely useful;

1. The "GreenButton" button (i.e. the green button with the windows logo on it)
Could this IR command be caught by Media Server and load up MC in Theater View? Also, when MC has focus pressing the "GreenButton" button could go to the "Home" menu in Theater View. This matches intuitively with it's "proper" use within MCE.

2. No way to browse "into" items without a context menu appearing
Pressing OK or Enter on the MCE remote brings up the context menu. I'd like to press OK and not have to then navigate to & select "Show". It would be preferable if the context menu only appeared if (1) its the last item in the hierarchy, or (2) you press ONE of OK or Enter (I don't care which - the remaining button could have the desired functionality) or (3) you press Info, which brings me to;

3. Info button doesn't do anything
Could the Info button be utilised to do something like bringing up the context menu, or bringing up Track Info when in the "Big Screen" (Display View)? Or even both.

I've completely disabled MCE on my Vista HTPC now so I can use my MCE remote with MC without MCE interfering. I'm not even sure the above features could be implemented - my knowledge of how IR receivers work is pretty limited. If it's not possible then it'd be nice to know so I can think about investing in a more compatible receiver.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Support of MCE Remote in MC
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:00:36 am »

2. No way to browse "into" items without a context menu appearing
Pressing OK or Enter on the MCE remote brings up the context menu. I'd like to press OK and not have to then navigate to & select "Show". It would be preferable if the context menu only appeared if (1) its the last item in the hierarchy, or (2) you press ONE of OK or Enter (I don't care which - the remaining button could have the desired functionality) or (3) you press Info, which brings me to;

Press right.

Only thumbnail views require a double-enter to enter, but Lineup and Details do not.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:12:43 am »

Thanks for the quick reply Matt.

I've noticed the arrow-right behaviour on lineup view - however, whilst this is good (though not quite ideal) where I use lineup (for videos and images), for where I use thumbnails (music) it doesn't work quite as well.

I use a Logitech Harmony Remote (acting as an MCE remote) which is very configurable, so if Enter would do the single-select enter and OK stayed with the current functionality, I could simply configure the buttons the other way round, if you see what I mean.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:38:18 am »

I've completely disabled MCE on my Vista HTPC

Hi Prod - how did you do this! (I get MSMC tying to take over every now and again if I press the wrong button on the MCE remote).

1. The "GreenButton" button
Mmmm apparantly (from a previous post when MCE support was introduced in MC) this IR code is not forwarded to the app

3. Info button doesn't do anything
  Agree - it should bring up track details etc in the OSD

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 03:48:02 am »

Hi Prod - how did you do this! (I get MSMC tying to take over every now and again if I press the wrong button on the MCE remote).

Hi - first I removed the Media Center Tray from the startup programs using Windows Defender. Curiously this isn't enough, it will reappear given time! So, I restarted and started Vista up in "Safe Mode With Command Prompt" (press F8 at startup to bring that option up - sorry if you know that already I'm just being thorough). Then I renamed "C:\Windows\ehome" to "C:\Windows\DONOTLOADMCE". I'm writing this from memory so sorry if I've got the folder location wrong - it's wherever you find the "ehtray.exe" program.

Strange about the GreenButton IR code not being forwarded - it gets forwarded to the Media Center Tray, so I would expect it to be just like any other code. I worked this out by ending the Media Center Tray process and pressing the GreenButton (nothing happened).

I was messing with the OSD last night and noticed that pressing Down does what the Info button should do (in my opinion). However, because pressing Down when browing menus has a completely different functionality I don't want to assign this code to my Info button. Pressing Info over an item should really bring a context menu up, or even display Info about the selection, no?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:52:54 am »

Hi Prod - here was the link to the OP on the Green Button
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=40256.msg278912#msg278912
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up