INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copied CD won't play in MC 12  (Read 812 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Copied CD won't play in MC 12
« on: July 28, 2007, 02:47:21 pm »

I've made backup copies of several CDs that I recently purchased. The original CD plays fine on my computer using JRiver Media Center 12 or Windows Media Player, but the CD copy (using Nero) won't play back on MC. Even though the copy won't play back on MC, it will usually play with WMP.

I don't have any problems ripping the tracks from the original CD to my hard drive.

When I try playing the CDs in MC, I get the message: "The media types of the selected files are not supported for playback".

I've run into this problem recently with Arcade Fire/Neon Bible, The Decemberists/Castaways and Cutouts, The Format/Dog Problems, Laura Veirs/The Triumphs & Travails of Orphan Mae, The Shins/Wincing the Night Away and The Bad Plus/Prog. I haven't had this problem with any of my older CDs.

It looks like these newer CDs are using a type of copy protection that may include some invalid TOC information that only seems to have an effect on copied CDs. I wonder why nobody else has noticed this... I can't find any clues doing a Google search or in forums like CDfreaks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Higginz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm Swedish
Re: Copied CD won't play in MC 12
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:29:37 am »

* What happens when/if you make a CD copy using MC?.

(You can make lossless CD-images with cue for perfect CD back-up)

* When ripping using Nero, What audio format are you making the files in?.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Copied CD won't play in MC 12
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:32:40 am »

I haven't tried making a CD copy using MC. Actually, I didn't think MC had a direct CD-to-Cd copy feature. I always rip with a lossless codec - WMA lossless. And I've made CDs from these, but some of these copies still won't play in MC. This is really baffling.

I don't rip using Nero. It is only used to make CD-to-CD copies. I always rip using MC in secure mode.

Pages: [1]   Go Up