INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPC or OGG  (Read 1682 times)

NY40Male

MPC or OGG
« on: August 19, 2002, 05:42:15 pm »

I Started Using MPC After Using WMA
And My Big Fears Go Onto The Fact
That MPC Will Die And I Will Be Stuck
With 10,000 Songs That Useless.. Not Trying
To Insult The Author Of MPC..I Love It And
Think It Sounds Great...But Doesnt Seem Like
Alot Of Programs Are Using It...Would I Be
Okay To Stay With MPC And Not Worry ....Start All My New Files
With OGG And Just Keep The MPC Files That I Have
Or Reformat My Hard Drive And Go Outside & Scream
Appreciate The Thoughts Of Everyone
Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:MPC or OGG
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 08:58:00 pm »

Is lossless an option?  You can never get stranded with it, since you can always get the original WAV files back.

I'm such a blowhard...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

joe|PLS|mama

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 11:43:22 pm »

Well, first off, there's no need to reformat your hard drive just because you switch from MPC to OGG.  Both formats will coexist just fine in MJ.  I have files in all formats (MP3, MPC, OGG, AAC, APE, FLAC) in my library and have no problems with any of them.  Just start encoding new files with OGG.  For the CDs you've already ripped to MPC, maybe re-rip/re-encode a few to OGG every week until you've replaced all the MPCs.

As for MPC becoming useless, I doubt that will happen...anytime soon anyway, but it will probably never become as widespread as MP3 or OGG.  You are right, though, there are not that many programs that support MPC, but there is a small but dedicated MPC contingent out there that will always makes sure you'll be able to play them in MJ (or Winamp).

What quality setting were you thinking of encoding your OGGs at?  Be aware that almost all of the sound quality tuning has been concentrated on the lower bitrates (-q 4 and below).  This is not to say that higher bitrate OGG (-q 5, 6 , 7) doesn't sound good, but from what I've read over at Hydrogen Audio, there is a lot of tuning that can be done for those higher quality settings.

Ultimately, Matt's lossless suggestion is the way to go if you've got the hard drive space.  Then you'll never have to worry if you chose the right format.

Rob

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 01:29:01 am »

NY40Male,

joe said it.

I don't think either that MPC will die out.

What the best lossy format is quality wise, tends to be a religious question among some.

Numerous abx-tests show that MPC is still superior to any other lossy format regarding transparency vs the original file.

What the future will bring for MPC is a big question mark. A lot of guessing is being done by a lot of people, but nobody knows.

A new and improved SV8 version of mpc has been on the way for a long time, and will maybe be launched in the fall. This could or couldn't be the start of a expansion of the usage of mpc.

However it is a fact, that you will always be able to encode and play back your mpc files. There are too many hardcore mpc-users around for mpc to die.

If the worst case scenario appears, you can easily re-encode your mpc files to another format. Since the quality of the format is so high, it wouldn't mean anything for the quality.

Jesper.

Henrik L

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 07:18:53 am »

I stoped useing MPC coz is a bit unstable in MJ.
I was playing back a MPC file and was ripping a CD to the MPC format, while that was going on I started to "Replay Gain" a few MPC songs...
Well It couldn't and crashed, would have liked to use it but hey, now we have OGG and I think it has a better change of beingen well know since it's free, and as far as I know MPC is not.....

Listening to: 'Freak Like Me (Radio Edit)' by 'Sugarbabes' on Media Jukebox

joe mama

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 11:53:36 am »

I also started playing around with OGG because I was having problems running Replay Gain on MPCs.  For some reason, on my system, MJ always crashes whenever I try to Replay Gain MPC.  I have no problems with OGG, MP3, APE.  At this point I have pretty much decided on using a combination of OGG and APE for ripping my own CDs.  I also have a little MP3, but that is mostly stuff that friends have given me.

Rob

NY40Male

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 01:19:36 pm »

So Basically MPC Is Good To Stay With
And I'm Probably The Only Person Who Doesnt Use Replay Gain
Thanks For Your Help..I'd Like To Stay With MPC..I Like The Sound

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 02:27:37 pm »

I have no problems using MJ's replay gain on mpc's.

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 05:10:45 pm »

With all the growing complaints of MJ's Replay Gain not functioning with MPC, I decided to test it again with a larger batch of files. I ran it on a batch of 700 MPC files without a single hitch.

I don't know what the problem can be, and I don't have the luxury of a multitude of test environments (I'm a poor college student :)). There is a rewrite of the decoder plugin in the works, but I haven't had much time to work on it (job hunting, school work, etc).

If anyone can pin the problem down to just MPC, I'd like to hear from you. I need details (system specifications, OS, how you made it crash, etc). Feel free to send me an e-mail (I miss a lot of MPC-related threads on this forum). My e-mail address is mike (at) naivesoftware (dot) com. I won't bite :)

Thanks and take care.
Listening to: 'I Can't Breathe' from 'Pure' by 'Gary Numan' on Media Jukebox

joe mama

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 10:38:19 pm »

Well, it looks like the latest update may have fixed the Replay Gain/MPC problem I was having.  I just analyzed a list of 189 MPCs and no crashes!

Rob

Listening to: 'Non Chain' from 'Indian Masala Mix' by 'Kulisch & Vana' on Media Jukebox

Henrik L

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 11:04:59 am »

It's been a long time (about 10 beta updates) since I used MPC, so I might have been fixed.
I could make a new test, but It could take some days before I have time to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up