INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sequence value in Playlists Zeroed out  (Read 3611 times)

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
Sequence value in Playlists Zeroed out
« on: August 03, 2007, 11:12:08 am »

I have a weird problem.  A coupla builds ago (say 167 - 9 or, so) I noticed all the "sequence" values for songs in my regular playlists became zero (0).  that is, instead of the sequence being consecutive numerals (1,2,3... and so on), the "sequence" value is zero (0) for every song.  The weird thing is that when I run my library on another PC through Media Server, the "sequence" values appear correctly.  I tried to "update order" of the playlist but, this has no effect.  I waited a while to see if new builds would fix this but, so far no and I haven't seen anyone else report this problem in the forum.  Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?  Any help would be greatly apreciated.  Thanks.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
Re: Sequence value in Playlists Zeroed out
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 02:52:34 pm »

Hey, anybody out there got any ideas about this?  Basically what I am saying is that all my playlists have no "order" anymore.  I have exported and re-imported the playlist as both M3u and MPL but, they come back zeroed out. And everytime I create a new playlist the sequence numbers are all zero, too.  I don't think you can edit the sequence field so, what else can I do?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 02:57:43 pm »

Oh, also, I forgot to mention that it seems I can no longer delete (remove from list, that is) items from my standard Playlists.  What's up with this?   very annoying.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:28:04 pm »

Actually, the problem about not being able to remove items from playlists was fixed by the latest build (.301) but, the other issues still remain.  Isn't there anybody out there with a suggestion?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 07:00:51 pm »

I don't see a zero sequence number.  Maybe the sort order?  Try clicking on the column headers.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:53:26 pm »

In the view settings the sorting is set to "Seq A to Z".  Clicking on the column header does nothing because ALL of the values for sequence are "0". So that doesn't change the order.  I mean that is the problem really - there is no order.  When I click on another header, they arrange themselves alphabetically by artist or, name or, whatever which is great but, then I would like to be able to click on the "SEQ" header and have them revert back to the original order but, this does not work.  And sometimes they stay alphabetical when the playlist closes so I lose the original order.  And, in some playlists, I want the songs to play in a particular order, you know?  I'm not sure if I am making myself clear.  What I am trying to say is that the first song in the playlist should have a sequence value of "1" the second one of "2" the third "3" and so on but, in all my playlists each one is "0".  Does that help?  And, thanks for your reply, Jim.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:55:49 am »

I also get a strange result from "sequence". When I select the smartlist "Top Hits" it starts with sequence number 329 and ends with 428. It should list my 100 most played numbers, but doesn't.

TLS

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 12:18:49 pm »

The sequence numbers work fine for me. They are available & usable in the standard playlists and in the Playing Now playlist.

The other library places don't use sequence numbers even MC may allow to manually add that column to a view (that may be a bug).

EDIT

I also get a strange result from "sequence". When I select the smartlist "Top Hits" it starts with sequence number 329 and ends with 428...

Actually, how did you manage to add the "Sequence" column to a smarlist? It is not available for me.

Are you using the latest MC12 build?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 01:51:47 pm »

I did not add it. I just looked at the "Top Hits"  playlist (edit smartlist) that is installed with MC. The seq on that list is not starting with 1 and ending with 100 as expected. I have the same result on another PC running the same version of MC (301). TLS

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 01:59:41 pm »

The SEQ I see on my Top Hits is identical to the Number Plays field for a given track...

Mark

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 02:39:58 pm »

That's odd, my smartlists don't have a Seq column and it is not listed in the columns list:

I wonder if this smartlist oddity is related to the zeroed sequence numbers problem that Psyffer23 is experiencing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 03:57:18 pm »

I only see them on playlists, not smartlists...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 05:25:27 pm »

My main library is over five years old and my "Top Hits -- 100 most played" is a default smartlist that one of the older MJ or MC versions created. If I have had the separate "Top Hits" playlist I may have removed it.

Now I created a new empty library and found the default "Top Hits" list. It indeed displays the "Number Plays" value in the "Seq" column.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 07:43:17 am »

This is NOT an issue for Smartlists.  (For me anyway).  It doesn't matter so much what order most of them are in .  But, in a regular Playlist it can be a big deal.  They may be more like a mixtape where the flow of the songs from one to another is the whole point.  And, I can't really count on my Playlists to retain this flow anymore because of this "sequence" issue.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 am »

As a test, you could create a new empty library, import a few files and try how the playlists work.

Also, you could make a library backup file (of your normal library) and restore the backup file to a new empty library on your other PC.

Possibly these tests would help to solve the problem.

Psyffer23

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 11:56:34 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, Alex B.  Sorry, I was too busy to try them out until this weekend.  Restoring the library to a new install of MC on a different PC still produces the same problem with the playlists.  So, does this point to a library issue?  Somehow my current library is corrupted in just this very specific way?  Is there anything I can do about this short of... The other suggestion, which if I understand  you corectly, is to start from scratch and rebuild the library to see if this solves the issue.  Well, that is a cure that is much worse than the disease.  Even if it would fix the issue, wouldn't I lose all my playlists and views etc?  I guess I may just have to live with this issue.  What makes me think it is a bug and not a corrupt library is that all newly created playlists have this problem too but, aside from this weird thing, they work fine.  And, I also, restored a much older library (from when I didn't have this problem) to the new PC and the issue was still there.  I haven't tried to reinstall an older version of MC to see if this resolves the issue but, if this works, where does it leave me?  I would like be able to use the newer versions of MC.  Well, does anybody out there have any other suggestions?  I don't want to believe, I have stumped everybody.  But, it is weird that no one else has actually reported that they have this exact same problem.  So maybe I will just have to let it go after this last try.  Thanks anyway, guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up