INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server and Auto Import problem  (Read 1084 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Media Server and Auto Import problem
« on: August 19, 2007, 07:48:30 pm »

I've been experiementing with Media Server lately. I've installed MC on my server and setup auto import to watch a few local folders. Media Server is set to start on Windows startup.

My problem is that Auto Import is not detecting external changes UNLESS the Media Center GUI interface is open.

Is this a known problem?

Thanks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Server and Auto Import problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:58:09 am »

Since Media Server and Auto Import aren't getting along, I've resorted to simply starting a normal MC session on the server and minimising it to the system tray when not in use. Auto Import is working fine now - detecting external changes etc...

I know that Media Server offers a means of having MC always running without consuming excessive system resources but as I understand it, a normal minimised MC session achieves similar results - with the added bonus of a working Auto Import  ;D Therefore, I'm wondering what other benefits (if any) is Media Server supposed to bring?

Thanks.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:24:53 am »

Therefore, I'm wondering what other benefits (if any) is Media Server supposed to bring?

I think you already answered your question. Media Server allows running only the Library Server part without any other features. This can be more or less useful.

A couple of years ago Media Server was a separate program. When the plugin type Library Server (which is a more advanced server) was introduced the old Media Server was removed. Some users criticized this and JRiver created this new Media Server that can run only the Library Server part when the other MC features are not needed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:31:51 am »

Thanks Alex. Ok, I guess I was just making sure I understood the intent of Media Server properly. I guess some people may continue to find this useful.

Thanks for the reply.
Z-Wave Home Automation

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 07:32:11 am »

Where can I find a shortcut to open Media Server?  All I know of is the start on startup checkbox that would require a restart to get going.
Pages: [1]   Go Up