INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i presume most of you have read this...  (Read 1127 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
i presume most of you have read this...
« on: August 18, 2002, 08:54:32 pm »

http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

Even artists want downloadable music... The only people that dont are the mega groups (cry me a river baby) and the recording industry and its lobbyists...

This does open a nice issue... Whilst I am pretty against indescrinatly downloading music (and I buy a lot of music) it does bring awareness to the fact that A) New artists B) fringe artists C) almost anyone apart from the RIAA and established artists that already make a fortune see this as a benefit...

So who as a society do we believe deserves the revenue and exposure... New aspiring / unusual / alternative / artists who are starting out or the industry itself and the mega groups it creates to pull revenue...

This is not a black and white issue... Yes Metalica do lose out some revenue but then again are they struggling to buy guitar strings ?? Small bands that benefit from exposure are...

Who do we want as a society to benefit most from being an artist... Those that already benefit enoumously should benefit more at the expense of those that are stuggling getting less...

Whilst pointing to industry misnomers I should also link this page by another member of the industry http://www.negativland.com/albini.html
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
RE:i presume most of you have read this...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 09:20:01 pm »

Metallica:

There is a service in the internet that let's the user download radio-ripps from songs. They have agreements with many artist.
Metallica is one the easiest to handle, they say on this site. So I think Metallica only wanted to prohibit the "uncontrolled" distribution, but they are definitly on "our" side.

Just my two cents.

Mirko

fesere

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 09:54:49 pm »

Whats that site that you can send money directly to artists...  like they hold the money for 6 months or something and make the profit off interest and then send a check straight to the artist?

Anyways I wouldn't mind a Napster-like program that you had to register with using a cc.. and then while dling a cd be able to click and send a few bucks to the artist.  I'd click sometimes...  tho I don't think overall it'd work very well.

Artzie

• Recent member
  • Computer Tech.Music
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 11:30:22 pm »

It seems to me that today's "artists" steel without thinking anyhow, so why bother! I mean, new music is rare!

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 11:53:41 pm »

I guess the expresso was kicking in when I was thinking about this as I went off on one after reading the article..

My more detailed ramblings can be found here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163207
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 04:01:23 pm »

Excellent Link - thanks!

Deerhunter

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 12:45:31 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up