INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The power of view schemes  (Read 1817 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
The power of view schemes
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:31:23 am »

Does anyone want to help me understand what some good uses for view schemes are?  I'm especially interested in learning more about filtering in both directions because I still don't understand what it does.  I typically don't use any view schemes other than customizing the main Audio, Images, and Video schemes.  Screenshots would help a lot.

MrHaugen

Re: The power of view schemes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:33:10 am »

There are some benefits from having more than one view scheme. One of the best, in my opinion, is that you can get a different view depending on weather you are in theater view or standard view.
I normally show Genre, Sub Genre, Album Artist (auto) and Year Album in the standard view. In theater view, this is often to much for other users, as they don't know my genre tagging as well as my self. In theater View I'd rather like to show Artist and then maby album.

To do this you add a new view scheme, and call it Theater View or something. Make shure Show in Theater View is selected, and add the fields you like. Go to Theater View -> Audio and hit Views. There you can now see your new view scheme. And it will remain the audio scheme in TV.
Different view schemes also comes handy when doing different things like tagging or just listening to music.

As for the filtering in both directions. This comes in handy when your tagging lust kicks in. As I said I have both Genre and Sub genre. For artists that goes in different genres, this option will show all different genre or sub genre this artist have (if artist is selected).
If you like the genre of the artist you can select it and hit "all" in the artist column to see more artists of the same genre.
I mainly use it to see the different genres an artist have, but I think there are more uses than that.

If you have a bunch of styles or similar, individual for each song, this method would probably be even more effective.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

benn600

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:44:39 am »

That really helps me understand filter in both directions.

So say you have Artists and Genre in your view scheme.

With FIBD: if you select an Artist, would the genres that don't have that artist disappear?

Without: If you select an artist, all genres would stay in, right?

It seems like order is very important.  Without filter in both directions, you have to move from left to right?  I'm experimenting a bit now.

Edit: yes, it does filter in both directions AS SAID.  lol.  That is useful.  I always got annoyed that you couldn't pick a different row other than the first if you wanted it to behave as expected.  I think I'll be enabling it from now on.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:52:29 am »

With FIBD: if you select an Artist, would the genres that don't have that artist disappear?
Correct

Without: If you select an artist, all genres would stay in, right?
If you select the artist, all other genres than that spesific artist have, will dissappear.
Select the genre, hit "All" in artists, and all with that genre should be showing.

Good luck

robydago

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:56:50 am »

well I created some view schemes as sort of "dynamic" smart playlists:
for example, with items as "rating", "genre" and "number plays", with just some clicks you can have all your 3 to 5 stars classical tracks or all rock tracks played more than once, and so on ad lib.

as far as filtering directions I think the theory is this (I hope I remember corrrectly what happens...):

Rating    Genre
------------------
**       Classical
***      Rock
****     Pop

Filtering in one direction (left to right):
- if you select only the ** rating and in your DB you have only Classical and Rock tracks rated **, than the Pop entry disappears
- whatever you select in the Genre item doesn't modify what's shown under Rating, even if the selected item's, e.g. Pop, tracks have two stars or no stars at all

Filtering in both directions (left to right AND right to left):
- if you select only the ** rating and in your DB you have only Classical and Rock tracks rated **, than the Pop entry disappears
- whatever you select in the Genre item DOES modify what's shown in Rating, so if the selected item's, e.g. Pop, tracks have two stars the "***" and "****" entries disappear.

Hope it's clear (and also real... 8)...

benn600

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:06:12 am »

I totally understand

Now I would think that should be the default?  I remember the first time I used MC and saw that you had to go left-> right, I thought it was strange.  I like the option for either way but believe the default should be FIBD.  It just makes sense.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 05:16:34 pm »

Now I would think that should be the default?  I remember the first time I used MC and saw that you had to go left-> right, I thought it was strange.  I like the option for either way but believe the default should be FIBD.  It just makes sense.

The default is not strange to all. I use the one direction filtering most of the time, as I can quickly choose another genre without resetting the selection or hitting "All" in artists. But it's good for quite a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up