INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: last.fm Plugin Reattempt Logic Suggestion  (Read 926 times)

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
last.fm Plugin Reattempt Logic Suggestion
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:40:27 pm »

Just a quick suggestion about a change in logic for the last.fm plugin...  Either through an option or just through normal behavior when the "Reattempt failed submissions" option is enabled...

Change / Make available the option to have the plugin basically only reattempt the earliest failed submission until it finally succeeds, then move onto the rest of the "queued failed attempts", in the order which they were played.

In just starting to use this plugin, I have watched how it tries to resubmit failed attempts, but the way it currently processed them, it's anyone's guess which one out of the failed ones will actually succeed first.  This causes last.fm to then ignore any submissions with a play date earlier than the one that finally succeeded.

Take this example... I play the following tracks in the following order:

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4

They all fail submission and the plugin continues to retry, such as this:

Submit Track 1
Submit Track 2
Submit Track 3
Submit Track 4
Submit Track 1
Submit Track 2
...and so on...

Then, all the sudden, it submits Track 4 and it succeeds.  Next it goes back to Track 1 again, but Tracks 1-3 all get ignored by last.fm, because they were played earlier than the last submission.

Instead, if there is a failed attempt, stop at that attempt and kept retrying only that attempt (let the rest just "queue").  So, in this example, the plugin would continue to try to submit Track 1 over and over until it finally succeeds, then tries the next in the order played.

Just a suggestion... Not sure if it had been mentioned before.  I just noticed all of mine have been failing for the last 20 minutes or so (last.fm maybe having problems).

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Re: last.fm Plugin Reattempt Logic Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 02:04:56 pm »

I decided against that because if a track failed to submit for whatever reason the whole queue would suspend, and since the plugin is a background process people would not generally check what it was doing.

I will add it as an option.

TreeFrog77

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: last.fm Plugin Reattempt Logic Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:15:02 pm »

I decided against that because if a track failed to submit for whatever reason the whole queue would suspend, and since the plugin is a background process people would not generally check what it was doing.

I will add it as an option.

I understand, but just in the last 24 hours of using the plugin, I'm seeing that there a number of failed submissions that occur from time to time and watching my last.fm page, I always keep getting that "spam" protection error message because of them being out of order.

Thanks for your support!   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up