INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVI and MC12 possible solution  (Read 1284 times)

fam.vd.zanden@chello.nl

AVI and MC12 possible solution
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:47:41 pm »

I search last night this forum and found out that many people had the same problem as I had.

I couldnt watch avi. I downloaded XviD-1.1.3-28062007 and installed it and MC12 workes fine.

cheers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: AVI and MC12 possible solution
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:44:58 pm »

If you have trouble with this issue, it is because you don't have proper decoders installed for the video.  AVI is NOT a "video type" it is a "video container".  There are lots of different kinds of AVI files.  XviD is one kind, and the codec can decode many common file types (though not all of them).

For a better and more complete solution, read this: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MajorTomKY

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 05:28:13 pm »

The guide is awesome and helped me tons with getting a grip on the way things were being done.  However since my HTPC manufacturer was 'helpful' and included 'useful' tools for use with video, DVDs etc, there are many filters from sources I probably don't want in the system. Are the quality of filters in the DirectShow from Nero suspect as to quality?  I've read some disparaging comments on the net about them.  While I can read about 95% of the AVI variations I have available or can produce. I notice that oddly enough, none of them produce the quality of sound I'd expect. They can be quite clear and crisp but for lack of a better word AVIs seem to contain on the average 5-8 'burbles' of the sound per 20 minute shows.  The video is fine, which gets me, since there is so much more work to be done processing video but sound continues to be less than acceptable.  I'm trying to careful work through all the sound filters.  MP3's from the music collection are fine. AVI's using MP3 I'd think then would be good but they are equally messed up. I can manaufacture AVI with internal sound of MP3, Mp2 and PCM and all have the same problem.  Anyone else having a similar difficulty?  I even have some AVI generated by a Plextor AD Capture device that creates DivX on the fly and pipes that into the computer, it also has the same kind of problem.

THen again it could all just be the fault of Vista ;-) Thank goodness we have Microsoft to fall back on when we have computer glitches ... hee hee

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:17:39 am »

I love Nero for disc burning, and I really love the quality and speed of their AAC encoder.  I am less enthralled with their decoder software though...  I have not had those specific experiences, but I'm still using XP and the older (and much better, IMHO) Nero 6 product.  I don't use Nero for decode support at all though.

There's really no need to remove anything from Nero though.  If you use CCCP it will automatically "override" Nero and set itself to handle decoding of all the supported file and compression types.

Those glitches could certainly be the decoder's fault, but I'm actually suspicious of your sound card drivers more than anything.  What sound card hardware do you have in there?  Have you checked for updates?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MajorTomKY

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:59:01 am »

My three XP boxes all have nero and checking with G-Spot I see that they use the Nero decoders and all those machines playback DivX without a glitch. CCCP on them also works fine. The Vista HTPC which is a 2GB RAM, duocore machine with Realtek drivers which came bundled with the PCAlchemy RE HTPC. I have to wait for Mary Kay to be done with her DVR binge to get access to the machine for the correct version.  This evening I'll have the house to myself ( night shift workers ) and install the CCCP and walk through filter tests. I've read on the net some discussion about the sound drivers and Vista and wouldn't be surprised if my problem is something simple like that. I don't suspect the network as I've moved a test DivX that showed problem to the C drive of the HTPC and it still behaives as before. I'll post again this evening once I can trace the exact set of DirectSHow filters and have double checked on the net for any newer Vista drivers for the sound. I'll also talk to PCAlchemy today about the sound card options and make sure I am not being fooled about the versions.  I will check and see if the cards inthe HTPC will allow me to downgrade to XPP Professional as I find everything about Vista to be annoying ;-) Thanks for the suggestion about the sound drivers.

MajorTomKY

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 09:01:48 am »

Well last night tackled the sound card driver issue ... uses the on board sound ALC882 Realtek chipset. Upgraded to the latest Vista drivers ( Codec version 1.73 ). No difference. Ran DirectSOund then Waveout.. used every filter in the house. I experimented with all the XP machines and it doesn't matter what I use for filters etc, they ALWAYS play fine even the 6 year old clunker with less than a GB of memory can play any DivX I want. Essentially I'm pretty convinced that Vista is abismal.  It came with the machine and I would never order on purpose a MS operating system before service pack 2. I'm a Windows software developer for 20 years! All the crap running in the background interferes with everything you try to do. Watching the filter buffers while playing they don't get over 90% it's as if something jumps n for a moment takes over the machine and the video player be it MC, MSMP or even CCCP's classic player is smacked for a moment. I have no Virus software on the HTPC. Turned off the Firewall, shut down Defender, I'm off to dismantle Intel Viiv media server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up