INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question About Dual Monitor Support and MJ8  (Read 1312 times)

Pete

• Recent member
Question About Dual Monitor Support and MJ8
« on: August 18, 2002, 07:17:10 pm »

Ok, I'm brainstorming here. I'm on MJ8 trial period and really enjoying it. I've been thinking how to upgrade and integrate my MP3 collection with my A/V system.

I have now ripped a lot of my CDs and added the cover art (300x300 pixel) inside the files. I like that the internal MJ Display can be a separate window with MP3 info and cover art display as the file plays.

So, I'm in the process of getting 50 foot RCA audio cable (anyone know where I can find one?) to run from my Soundblaster card to to the other side of the room to my A/V receiver AUX jacks. This should allow me to play my collection through my home stereo system which will sound great. This is a big step up, although my computer Monsoon system is not bad.

However, what if I upgrade my graphics card to one which has dual monitor support and S-video out. If I bought a 50-foot S-video cable to run to the AUX video jack of my A/V receiver, can I "push" the separate MJ Display window to display through my A/V system to my big screen TV? If I could do this, this would be an awesome addition to my entertainment unit for parties, etc. I was thinking I was going to need a standalone MP3 player for my A/V system, but this "sounds" a lot better.

I'm probably dreaming that this would work and I admit I don't know much about dual monitor support on graphics cards, etc. (Can the S-Video out on a graphics card which support dual monitor be "one" of the monitors?)

Hope this is clear. If anyone has done something like this or something close to this, I would appreciate any help, advice.

Thanks.

Pete

cjdshaw

RE:Question About Dual Monitor Support and MJ8
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 07:22:43 pm »

> Can the S-Video out on a graphics card which support dual monitor be "one" of the monitors?

Depends on the graphics card. I know NVidia Geforce2 MX and Geforce4 based cards can.

The problem is, MJ always displays its full screen on the primary monitor. If you were happy for your TV to be the primary, you'd be OK, but this would often be a pain. Alternatively, your TV could be the secondary monitor and you could use Windowed Mode to move the display onto it.

It has been asked before for MJ to allow you to choose which monitor to use for full screen, but I think it was a "Maybe for version 9" one. Official response?

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 08:24:20 pm »

No official response, but:

I use GF4 and with the "NView"-Utility (included in the driver I think) you can assign applications to a specific monitor _with_ saving the position for the next time. This should be easy to do with MJ, tool (I use it with Outlook and EAC).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 06:32:14 am »

I use an ATI All-In-Wonder deal and push the display to a TV.  No dual-monitor fanciness though.

I'd strongly recommend it -- MJ is the hub for all my DVD, TV, and music.  And the setup even gets the wife's thumbs-up

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dragyn

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2002, 02:01:27 pm »

Non-Primary full screen support definately needs to be in v9. So if you and like everyone else can head on over to the wish list and vote, that'll be great..thanks...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2002, 02:05:52 pm »

Non-Primary full screen support definately needs to be in v9. So if you and like everyone else can head on over to the wish list and vote, that'll be great..thanks...

Don't bother -- it'll be in version 9 for sure.  And the that'll be great reminds me of the boss on Office Space

Oh, and how was the operation? Got any pictures of you swollen up like a chipmunk?  They want me to get my wisdom teeth pulled too -- should I be scared?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dragyn

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2002, 02:17:35 pm »

Don't bother -- it'll be in version 9 for sure. And the that'll be great reminds me of the boss on Office Space

I try my best..I was thinking the same thing too when I wrote it..heh.

Oh, and how was the operation? Got any pictures of you swollen up like a chipmunk? They want me to get my wisdom teeth pulled too -- should I be scared?

I have no pictures. If I did, it would most likely break your monitor...then I guess you wouldn't need secondary monitor support for MJ. ;)

And you shouldn't be scared...it only hurts for a few days (give or take a week). I also ate my stitches which was a good deal too. I needed a break from ice cream.

Oh and my mouth didn't swell up at all. The right side was numb for about a day or two and then everything went back to normal. I thought it was gonna be worse than that.

Pete

• Recent member
Dual Monitor Support and MJ 9
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2002, 05:05:53 pm »

Hi All:

Hope this doesn't offend that I'm asking this without checking it myself. I've been very busy with modifications to my PC and I don't want to shake up the environment any more than I have to right now by adding beta software.

But has anyone verified that MJ9 has non-primary full screen support? Is it currently in the beta? I know Matt said a few posts back that it will definitely be in version 9.

Thanks for any feedback.

Pete

Dragyn

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 05:25:59 pm »

Full screen works fine on my secondary monitor.

Pete

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 05:36:27 pm »

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply Dragyn.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up