INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with m4p files please - sounds bad and too loud  (Read 807 times)

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
help with m4p files please - sounds bad and too loud
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:12:28 pm »

greetings

i've got a client with a tonne of m4p files from apple. i've installed itunes and authorized the computer to play them. jrivers now plays them

however...big problem...they sound like hell. Totally distorted.

I tried to run the analyzer but MC won't analyze them. Tried to convert them to MP3 but MC won't do it. Playback is direct sound, changing to wav does nothing. Audio card is a delta 1010 rack mount. 98% of the library is in flac but i've got this little bit to deal with for him...also his apple downloaded music videos.

so in a nutshell...play a flac file and it sounds amazing. play a m4p file and the volume jumps way up and is totally distorted. this will not be acceptable to the client.

any ideas

yes...i'm encouraging him not to download anymore....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:54:11 pm »

With m4a files you could use DirectShow filters for decoding. If the files are decoded through DirectShow you can analyze them and use replay gain & internal volume. More info is here: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DirectShow_Playback_Guide

However, that does not help with protected m4p files. MC must play the files through the external QuickTime codec and it cannot alter the output anyhow. The only way to reduce the volume level is to use the system volume adjustment.

If the m4p files make only 2% of the library you could order the CD albums or singles from Amazon and rip them. :)

I have no experience about Apple videos. Can you play them with MC?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 05:18:37 pm »

Alex,

thanks for the heads up. m4a files are not a problem. have a bunch of those too. MC was able to analyze them without any issues and they sound fine. I can't use the system volume as that would mess up the settings covering the vast majority of the library which uses direct sound and takes advantage of the m-audio delta 1010 set volume level. Volume is controlled via the amps...not MC.

I'll look at the quicktime settings as there may be something in there that can be tweaked. Need of course to eliminate the client from adding to the problem moving forward.

Pages: [1]   Go Up