INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In-Wall HTPC Systems--Ideas Please  (Read 1383 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
In-Wall HTPC Systems--Ideas Please
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:37:48 pm »

I'm looking at adding in-wall systems in probably 3 or 4 locations around the house.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.  Now the main goals will be these:

1) Touch screen in wall.  There should be a nice bezel with foam padding so the LCD is sealed and enough force will be added so it is quite secure (and doesn't move when touched).  The foam padding should allow a trim piece to fit around and provide somewhat of a seal with the screen.
2) There will be some built in speakers in the walls.  I'm not sure if it's possible or easy to add a subwoofer?  I am thinking each area would need 2-4 speakers and a subwoofer would really enhance the system, but it would probably have to be in the walls somehow.
3) Then I saw another individual was using a rackmount audio system.  I'm going to buy a rack because I have a 4U 7TB server that needs a home, so this would not be bad.  But at this point, would I only need one PC?
4) I was initially thinking that under the LCD, there should be a lockable door that would house a standard desktop with ethernet and power outlets right there.  Then, the power and DVI cable would just hang down to the PC from up above.  There would be a mini wired keyboard and mouse in each opening and I would be able to remotely control each one via Logmein's free service.  So I would have very convenient access to the systems.
5) However, this means more management and the added complexity of two holes in the walls.  What is the procedure for keeping everything in a server room?  Do you run DVI cables from the monitors to the server room?  It would be really neat if one very powerful computer could run several in-wall units--I could afford more in that case.

I was looking at these Shuttle boxes.  They are VERY small (NICE!) and around $600.
http://us.shuttle.com/ModelsX.aspx

That link might not direct you but just look for the $600 small models.  Then I need to add around $300 for each touch screen LCD.  Any other ideas?  I like the MC theater view idea on these touch screens because then, technically, users can view any video on the server in the wall!  It would be important to get powerful enough PCs to support some HD with some decent LCDs.

It looks like a nice, managed 48-port switch should cover all the in-use ports.  In a home when you run ethernet, is it a common practice to run several ports to each room, have the cables come to a single room, and then only plug in the ports that are in use?  I obviously want 6-10 ports per room but that could mean 100+ ports.  I don't want to buy 3 48-port switches!  How do you label the cables in the walls and in the server room?  Perhaps a Room ID and Port ID?  Room F, Port 3: (F3) ?

And if MC's television features advance further with more network streaming, you would think that your server could have several tuners that would be shared by MC users throughout the house and you wouldn't need coax cable run to each TV--it would just be streamed over the gigabit data connection.

It's gotta be gigabit!  No more messing around with 100 Mb.  It's ancient at this point.  Plus, most new computers have it.  The switch I was looking at was Netgear and $750.  Let me guess, it's a piece of junk and I need to spend $1,500--right?  It's very common for people here to suggest spending a lot more (but that's okay!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up