INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm lost here, And think i been doing library server wrong this whole time??  (Read 2448 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

ok i have a few questions i'd like to get cleared up here. I been with media center since the 10 versions and think i have been using it wrong. i thought that i had posted this question before but cant find it in my past posts.

On my server(meaning main computer that holds all my files) i have two libraries i have made, one is called home theater library other is called party library.
when i goto library manager and edit one of them to see the location of the library C:\Documents and Settings\fred\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library and the party one is C:\Documents and Settings\Xtacy\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\party

are these supposed to be in 2 diffrent folders? because they are 2 diffrent libraries? and how come the home theater one isnt called hometheater? its called library?

my next question when i go on to my laptop under file library it just says default(which is the library for when i bring my laptop and external Hd for my shows\parties) and search for library servers. how come home theater library and party aren't there? 

reason i ask is because if my server has the home theater library loaded. and then i goto laptop and want to listen to party library. i can't because when i choose search for library servers it loads the one that is loaded on server.

I should be able to load\listen to and library i want correct?

I've played with laptop and tried to find those libraries but i cant seem to find them? ive also tried your examples but maybe im not using the correct server ip? how do i find my server ip to connect to in my network? what would the path be for these other libraries?  also have tried computername, but whats my domain.com?? what should the path look like?

Also if im on the road how do i know what to put in for location to connect to my home server? ive read these directions but i dont understand them completely...
To connect to that library from the client computer, run Media Center and go to Library > Search for Library Servers. Media Center automatically finds any Library Servers running on your local network.

If the client isn't on the same local network (perhaps you are at the office and want to listen to your server at home), then go to Library > Library Manager and select Add. Type in a name and enter the server's IP address in the location field. what would be my servers ip address? would this be the ip that i get from whatsmyip.org? or the ip that shows up in my easy file share? im confussed.

thank you hope you can help me, and sorry for my ignorance here.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

ok i have a few questions i'd like to get cleared up here. I been with media center since the 10 versions and think i have been using it wrong. i thought that i had posted this question before but cant find it in my past posts.

On my server(meaning main computer that holds all my files) i have two libraries i have made, one is called home theater library other is called party library.
when i goto library manager and edit one of them to see the location of the library C:\Documents and Settings\fred\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library and the party one is C:\Documents and Settings\Xtacy\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\party

are these supposed to be in 2 diffrent folders? because they are 2 diffrent libraries? and how come the home theater one isnt called hometheater? its called library?
Those are the folders where the library is stored.  It's normal that they aren't the same as the name of the library.
my next question when i go on to my laptop under file library it just says default(which is the library for when i bring my laptop and external Hd for my shows\parties) and search for library servers. how come home theater library and party aren't there? 
Same answer, I think.

reason i ask is because if my server has the home theater library loaded. and then i goto laptop and want to listen to party library. i can't because when i choose search for library servers it loads the one that is loaded on server.
What you see when you do this is whatever you have set in MC's Library Server (on the server).
I've played with laptop and tried to find those libraries but i cant seem to find them? ive also tried your examples but maybe im not using the correct server ip? how do i find my server ip to connect to in my network?
If you're on the same network (both client and server), you can do this.  On the server, run Windows Start/Run and get a dos window by typing CMD or Command.  Then type "ipconfig" (no quotes) and you'll see the IP address your server is using.
what would the path be for these other libraries?  also have tried computername, but whats my domain.com?? what should the path look like?
On the local network, you don't need to use the domain name.  For example, our web server is www.jriver.com.  jriver.com is the domain.  www is the name of the server on that domain.
Also if im on the road how do i know what to put in for location to connect to my home server? ive read these directions but i dont understand them completely...
That gets complicated, but you need to know the "outside" address of your network.  This is the outside address of your router.  You can get it from the whatsmyip.org site.

Then you need to tell your router to route any request on the port you're using to the "inside" address of the PC that runs Media Server.  That's the address I told you how to get, just above.

thank you hope you can help me, and sorry for my ignorance here.
You're welcome.  It isn't ignorance.  The whole subject is complicated. 

If you want to learn more, try the linksys.com site.  They have a lot of information that would help you learn about networking.

HTPC4ME

ok. so jim thank you for the in depth reply. appreciated!!

but for example im on my server now and i hit file\library then choose party, and my party library comes up, Now if i go to laptop and hit file search for servers it will bring it up. my question is, is that i use to be able to have party on my server running, and then on my laptop i could goto file library and choose hometheater and it would load my hoem theater library, but i cant get it to do that anymore? cause i lost\forgot how i had it setup.

see on my servers i always had 2 libraries, and i could have either library loaded, and when on my laptop i could just choose under file library which one i wanted to stream to my laptop.

Any ideas how i may have doen that?

funny i have to ask you that, when i was th eone who had it setup that way. lol

horse

• World Citizen

If you want to connect to the library server while on the road and you don't have a static IP address (most don't at home)
you can enable dynamic DNS on the linksys if it supports it, or install a DDNS client on you library server machine.
You can get free accounts on DDNS sites like dyndns.org that will allow you to have a name and it resolves to the changing IP address of the linksys router. i.e. Fred-Library.dyndns.org

As Jim mentions, you will then need to set up a application helper / forwarder for the port and point it to the correct private address and port on your library server machine.

Don't be tempted to just place this machine in the DMZ. It will work, but all inbound requests from the public side will be forwarded to this server.

HTPC4ME

maybe an easier way to explain it is.
i have  a server it has 2 libraries, no matter which library is loaded, i want to be able to load either one of those libraries from my laptop. but in my laptop under file library i just have default and search for library servers. how do i get those 2 libraries to show up there.

type my ip then\c\docs settings app data\user\jriver\library backups? under location?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

Library server will only serve the library currently loaded in Media Center.

j

HTPC4ME

you know what... now that you mention that! i know what i did!!!

thank you
 i opened media center on laptop and made a new library and dragged the folders from server(my network connections to laptop. and that made shortcuts..thats how i did it i think?! :D thanks

John Gateley

• Nice haircut

I figured another way to do this, only recently available.

Run two copies of MC on the server, one for each library - they'll have to use different ports of course.

j

HTPC4ME

there's another good idea!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up