INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 1249 times)

Shawn Berg

Newbie Questions
« on: August 18, 2002, 08:10:57 am »

First of all I'd like to say that your program almost perfectly fits my needs. I am definitely going to buy the registered version as soon as I get a few questions answered.

Question #1:
----------------
When all of the songs in the Playing Now list have completed playing and no songs are playing -- when another song is added to the list, playback starts at the beginning of the Playing Now list, not where it left off. Is there a way to have songs removed from the Playing Now list after they are played, or any other solution that would solve this problem?

Question #2:
----------------
A lot of my music is downloaded and unorganized (all put into one folder). Is there a way to have Media Jukebox organize the music into ARTIST\ALBUM folders upon import, and delete the files out of the folder they were imported from? If not, could you recommend any free program which would help me with this?

I know there are more questions that I can't think of right this second, but these are the most important as of right now. Thanks again for a terrific program!

Shawn

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 09:58:31 am »

Hi Shawn,
Under settings/options/playback you have some flexibility in what you want MJ to do.

Also take a look at the options if you right click on a file.  Under Properties/Tools try the tools on a few files to see what they do.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2002, 10:03:31 am »

Hi Shawn,

Q1 : Options > General > Behaviour > Double-click --> There you can fix the way MJ will handle files added to Playing Now by double-clicking on.

Q2 : After importing your files into MJ Database, files will automatically be sorted on ARTIST/ALBUM 'based on the Tags info), but MJ will not physically move files.
Can't help for your physical organisation problem - maybe another user !

Yves.

Shawn Berg

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2002, 02:11:40 pm »

Thanks both of you for your suggestions. The other options under Options > General > Behaviour > Double-click will not work as I would like. I have tried them all as follows:

The first two options (replace) will replace one or all of the songs in the Playing Now list when somebody double clicks on a new file to add to the list. This happens whether there are currently songs playing or not.

The add to features come closest to what I want. The Add To End feature does as it says, but if no songs are currently playing, the song is added to the end of the list, and then the first song in in the list is played. The Play Now feature does also exactly as it says -- but the problem with this is that if there are songs playing and somebody double clicks on a song, the current song will stop and the new one they double clicked on will start (definitely not desired). The Play Next feature does the same as the Play Now feature with the exception that it will not stop the current playing song, but will play the new song immediately following (completely ignoring the rest of the songs on the list that were already queued up if songs were already playing). The last two items don't come close to what I am looking for. Basically, I would like an option to have songs removed from the Playing Now list immediately after they are played. This would solve the whole problem. Then if no songs were playing, and somebody selected a song, it would play that song. The way it works now, is if 10 songs were requested and played, and somebody clicks on a new song, it starts at the first song out of the original 10, making the new song #11. Basically I just want this to function identical to a real jukebox. This software comes the closest out of all I have found, but still not 100% like a real jukebox. You think these features could be added possibly?

Shawn

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2002, 03:29:25 pm »

Shawn,
Keep digging.  You should be able to find what you want.  

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Fastyves

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2002, 04:14:35 pm »

Hi Jim,

I've been digging too : didn't find the solution.

Now I got Shawn's idea, I find it could be interesting to have an option "Progressively Clear Playing Now" = once a song has been played, it is automaticaly removed from Playing Now.  

Yves.

Shawn Berg

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2002, 07:32:07 pm »

Yves -- Glad you see my point now. Added it to the Wish List. Go vote for it along with everyone else that thinks it's a good idea.

Vote Here

I have also added to the wish list the ability to put songs in a ARTIST\ALBUM\TRACK # - TITLE.MP3 file format upon importing into the system. This way I could set MJ to import from my Kazaa or other download folder and it would take the files and move them to a permanent location in the format above.

Vote Here

Thanks for all your support. Just trying to have this product function like a real life jukebox as I stated earlier. Would also like the ability to play random files when none are queued up, but thats not a BIG deal.

Shawn

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2002, 08:21:23 pm »

Import organizing:

As far as I known you can't import to a specific directory. But I used to do the following:

After importing the songs they are grouped into the playlist "recently imported". Then I select all songs in this playlist, right click and go to the properties. In the "Tools"-menu you can choose an option "rename files from property". This one comes close to what you want: It renames (and moves) the files to a specific directory(-structure) and filename-conventions.
E.g.: You can move the files to g:\medienarchiv as basis-directory and then subdirectories for genres and artist. Try looking at the examples that are given there.

I personally don't want that behaviour change, because this way I can easily identifiy the songs that are 1.) maybe not tagged completly and 2.) who need "replay gain"-analysis; even if the recently imported playlist gets overwritten. I don't have to use a temporary playlist to "store" the songs until they are ok to be integrated in my media archive.

HTH.
Mirko

Fastyves

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2002, 12:40:14 am »

Mirko,

Fully agree with you - I use almost the same method - that's the easiest way to double-check files before they're finaly "organised" in MJ.

Shawn Berg

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2002, 07:40:44 pm »

Mirko,

Thanks so much for your help. That does EXACTLY as I wanted. Perfect :) I am now going to purchase the full version of MJ. My only problem now is the playing problem when there are songs in playing now and no song is currently playing, and a new one is added. Still haven't figured out how I can make it continue where it left off and not start at the beginning again. Hopefully that will come in time now that I am purchasing the software.

Take care and thanks again!

Shawn
AIM: scbergFL
Yahoo IM: scbergFL
MSN: bergshawn@hotmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up