INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to organize (and find) musik with multiple tags  (Read 1104 times)

Bobo4567

• Recent member
How to organize (and find) musik with multiple tags
« on: September 03, 2007, 01:31:01 pm »

Hello together,

as a Media Center freshmann I'd like to ask for some advice how to organizie musik for seminars and psychological workshops.

In these courses it's very helpfull to play music wich helps the participant to get deeper into in their current feelings. So I'd like to organize my music in a kind of way that I can select the adequate tracks in a few seconds.

For me every single track has four different attributes that are also search criterias:
  • tempo : very slow - slow - medium - speedy - very fast
    This tag has only one value at a time and I#m passionless wether I use this words or have numbers from 1 to 5 or something else
  • mood : anger, joy, fear, love, sadness, confidence, ...
    You see that there might be a set of aprox. 25 - 35 main emotions and of course one song typically has between 1 and 3 values for the mood
  • application :
    In some cases tracks are perfect for different purposes, e.g. meditation, teamworking, work breaks, ... . A titel can have more then one applications.
  • instrumental : Y, N
    Just a value that shows if it's pure music or with singing

Let me show some typical queries:
- I need a "very slow" title with the mood "fear"
- A "instrumental" track for "meditation"

Can you give me some hints how to organize round about 1.500 tracks?
- Is it better to use playlist (groups)? But then I don't now how to make a "and" catenation between severals playlists ...
- Should I use/create custom tags in the database?
- Other (better) ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help
and greetings from Bavaria (Germany)!
Markus

pwurp

• Recent member
Re: How to organize (and find) musik with multiple tags
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

I would create custom tags and use smartlists (this value for a certain tag and that for another tag) to make selections according to purpose. Or add a view scheme with those fields, so you can easily pick the ones which meet one ore more criteria.

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 01:59:45 pm »

Thanks, pwurp, for the very fast help!

If I use custom tags: Is there a fast way to tag the music? When I use playlists I can listen into a title and drag'n'drop it to one or more playlists. Is this also possible with custom tags?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:32:53 pm »

Your attribiutes are perfect for custom tags, whether you want numerical or alphabetical descriptions is upto you, but i think alphabetical is clearer, but longer to type than numerical.

To do faster tagging look in the help file for 'Edit Tags with View Schemes' there are 2 methods drag files into a scheme or drag & drop using split view.

Yet another way to do it is, if you know which tracks to tag, just select them and in the action window you can enter for the appropriate tag.

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:40:25 pm »

Thanks again!

Creating the customs tags works fine. There's only one thing I don't understand: I created the custom tag "Tempo" with data type 'Integer', Edit type 'Standard' and the values "1;2;3;4;5;". Then I created a new View Scheme, tagged some music ...
... and was astonished that I found three times the value zero:

When I pick one of the zeros, there's no title behind that. I tried to get rid of the zeros (right click > delete) but didn't was succesfull.

Any ideas?

Bobo4567

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:04:22 pm »

@ hit_ny:

Dragging files to tags in a view scheme only allows 1 value, right?
I applied the tag "Mood" with some values (Fieldtype = List, semicolon delimited). When (always the same) the song is dragged to, let's say, 'Mood / freedom' and then dragged to 'Mood / calmness' in order to apply these two attributes then Media Center behaves as follows: 1st 'freedom' is applied and with dragging to 'calmness' the tag is cleared. The 3rd drag enters the choosen value. But only one.

Guess that I have to pick "String" a fieldtype ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up