INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving libraries  (Read 1268 times)

pwurp

• Recent member
moving libraries
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:29:40 pm »

Is there a way to change the drive letter prefix in the library, without having to rescan and import the whole library? Say if I move all my music from drive (H) to drive (I) (and don't want to rename I to H).

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: moving libraries
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 01:09:38 pm »

You could always move everything (rename fies) within MC; that would avoid an unnecessary rescan.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 02:05:05 pm »

The Rename Files From Properties tool can can move the files and keep the library up-to-date. This works fine, but if you want to move a complete media library from H:\ to I:\ I would recommend the following procedure, which may be safer if something unexpected happens (like a power outage).

1. Make a library backup file (File > Library > Back Up Library...)

2. Turn the Auto-Importer off (Tools > Auto-Import Options...)

3. Copy the media files to I:\ using Windows Explorer or a file backup tool.

4. Move the media files on the H: drive to a new temporary base folder on the same drive  (you can keep the files as a backup set until the procedure is over). In any case it is important that MC can't find the files in the old location.

5. You may also want to move the newly copied files on the I: drive to a new temporary base folder on the same drive. (This is not absolutely necessary, but personally I feel safer if the source and the destination locations are both offline when I do this kind of mass change in the library.)

6. Open MC, select all files and use the Find and Replace library tool for changing the library:
Tick only: Filename (path), Find what: H:\ , Replace: I:\

7. Close MC and move the files on the I: drive to the correct location (if needed).

Next time you open MC the files should be correctly linked from the I: drive.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:32:08 am »

Alex, your excellent explanation has been given more than once. Has it been added to the wiki so next time all you have to do is give a link to the wiki?
Jeff

pwurp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:08:38 pm »

Thanks for that! It'll be very useful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up