INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options->Playback Options->Switch tracks  (Read 702 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Options->Playback Options->Switch tracks
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:56:10 am »

I've always wondered why there isn't an option in MC to just play audio tracks without any switch settings. Meaning, no gapless, cross-fading etc. Just play the tracks as they are.

With most other players i've come across that seems to be the default setting.

Standard gapped (0.1)s seems to be the closest you can get. But if you play a cue album then it introduces a 0.1s gap when there should not be one. So you choose gapless and then you don't have a gap for tracks that are supposed to have one.

Would a simple setting maybe (Play as is) work in this case ?

It's been proposed to be able to store this info on a per album basis, but what if you choose tracks from several albums to make a mix and then you would have to override these settings. Too complicated. The current global settings is easier in that case

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Options->Playback Options->Switch tracks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:48:54 pm »

The plain "Gapless" plays the the tracks after decoding to PCM as they are. It does not add or reduce anything.

If the files are in a lossy format that does not support decoding exactly to the original track length you may hear some pops, clicks or small silent gaps.

For example, MC encoded MP3 files contain a LAME Info header that makes possible to decode the files to the original length, i.e. to play them gaplessly. If the MP3 files don't have this info then they will not play gaplessly.

If you have the "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)" option enabled MC detects silence and alters the output. However, this may not always produce perfectly seamless track changes and it also removes intended silence.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up