INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Suggestions For An MP3 Player That Supports "APE" Files?  (Read 3276 times)

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
Any Suggestions For An MP3 Player That Supports "APE" Files?
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:03:28 pm »

Whereas I was never interested in having an MP3 player, I now all of a sudden have a need for an MP3 player-like device for mobility.

Since MediaJukebox 8 days, I had converted over 200 CDs to the "ape" format.  My requirements were/are for a lossless format to stay as true to the original recording as possible.

In my researching of the players on the market today, I was only able to find players that handle "Wave" or "Flac". 

Will I have to convert everything over to "Flac" if I want to take advantage of the compressed file size?  Are there any issues surrounding the conversion of "Ape" to "Flac"?  Are there any other options I might consider?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

ballen

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: Any Suggestions For An MP3 Player That Supports "APE" Files?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:51:06 am »

Generally speaking (in my experience, and understanding), most portable players don't have the fidelity to warrant lossless formats. A mid-high level lossy codec would do fine (mp3 high vbr / ogg q8+ / wma HQ etc). You'll also save a lot of space obviously.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 01:57:39 pm »

I agree with confishy. But you may want to look at http://www.rockbox.org/ which can add file support to a player, via a firmware update. My Sansa went from just supporting mp3 and windows media to include .ape, .flac, .aac and probably some others as well. If you get a decent build they'll also throw in some games and apps (calculator, calender, ebooks, etc). There are also more sound and display customizations available than you can shake a stick at.

I would highly recommend going to the forums at anythingbutipod.com first though. The Rockbox site can be rather technical; I found the forums at anythingbutipod to be more user friendly and it is there that I finally decided to try Rockbox. They showed me how easy it is to uninstall it, for example.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:39:04 pm »

Heh, I use rockbox on my h340 ;)

A lot of folks use it on iPods now too. I think it now supports the latest version of iPod, but you'd want to check that out.

@jkrzok
The latest versions support ape now do they?

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 09:17:37 pm »

@jkrzok
The latest versions support ape now do they?

Yes but I'm discovering that playback is problematical. Frequent skipping means they havve a way to go.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 01:54:03 pm »

Many thanks confishy & jkrzok for your assistance!  I will be looking into the (2) sites you referenced.

Saving space is not an issue with me as I prefer maintaining the original audio quality.  My brief experience with "lossy" formats were unsatisfactory, audio-wise, when tracks were played thru high-end audio (home, car and headphone) equipment which I own, so I settled on the "lossless" format.

Confishy, your comment regarding most portable players not having the fidelity to warrant lossless formats was something I hadn't thought of.  Thanks for that little pearl of wisdom.

I'm off to further educate myself and I "Thank You" both for your input.

Peace,

ballen

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 02:04:52 pm »

Many thanks confishy & jkrzok for your assistance!  I will be looking into the (2) sites you referenced.

Saving space is not an issue with me as I prefer maintaining the original audio quality.  My brief experience with "lossy" formats were unsatisfactory, audio-wise, when tracks were played thru high-end audio (home, car and headphone) equipment which I own, so I settled on the "lossless" format.

Confishy, your comment regarding most portable players not having the fidelity to warrant lossless formats was something I hadn't thought of.  Thanks for that little pearl of wisdom.

I'm off to further educate myself and I "Thank You" both for your input.

Peace,

ballen

I use APE for my home stereo system.  However in the car with
all the other noise going on Mp3 is more than adequate so I've got
 a synchronized MP3 library that MC manages for me.
Theres various ways of doing this, and if you've already
set a side huge numbers of gigs for APE, whats a couple of extra
for MP3's!

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 08:51:15 pm »

You're asking about DAPs that support .APE right?

Cowon supports .APE (Normal compression). I have the D2 which comes in 2 & 4GB models but the units can now take the SDHC cards.

The Q5 (to be released) is rumored to support .APE (40 & 60GB models).

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/19/cowon-q5-pmp-unboxing/

The Cowon staple, the X5, might support .APE as well.

DC

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:05:31 am »

The Q5 (to be released) is rumored to support .APE (40 & 60GB models).

oooh... thats niiice ;D ... looks like I may still be an iPod free house....

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:16 am »

That does look sweet  :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

price for the Q5 is $500+

:o

and it still can't record off the telly..

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 03:42:49 pm »

Many thanks "Doctor Cilantro" & "Mr ChriZ" for taking the time to assist!

Yes, I was asking for a DAP which supports "ape".  As you stated, found the D2 supports it, while the X5 doesn't (according to Cowon's web page) and the Q5 not yet widely available enough to reduce its' pricing.  The RockBox suggestion is greatly appreciated as well.

I hear and appreciate the suggestion of multiple libraries.  My initial intention was to try and discover what options were available to me, if at all possible, maintaining just one format, my existing "ape" library.  Though whatever DAP I choose may have high fidelity issues as has been pointed out, staying with one format would be preferable.

I haven't found a "lossy" to date I could live with.  For example, the audio system in my car (quiet interior) for example is high-end with a soundstage above the dash and down the hood with a stereo image that seems to stretch beyond the width of the car (mirror to mirror).  For me, in this setting, "lossy" formats fail considerably in the imaging and depth departments of my primarily Jazz collection.  For me, "lossy" always reveals its flaws as it's used on increasingly better and better equipment.

I greatly appreciate everyones input and taking the time to assist!  Everyone enjoy the holiday!

ballen

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 03:53:24 pm »

Have you experimented with vbr mp3 and v0 encoding with lame 3.97, i listen to a lot of jazz as well, and the result is pretty close to the original.

its very possible you may have better ears than me tho :D

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 01:14:06 pm »

Yeah "hit_ny", I tried vbr 320, cbr 320, insane preset, all with lame 3.97.  Don't quite know what "v0 encoding" is though.

Discriminating ears can be quite the curse.  I was fine at a young age, enjoying my music on whatever device was available.  Then somewhere along the way I got exposed to hearing my well known music on better equipment and a whole new listening experience was revealed.

I've been like a "hamster on a wheel" ever since, chasing the elusive ultimate sound.  :P  It's been quite an expensive journey but it has its' rewards.  I wish I could go backwards but that's not happening.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 08:02:24 pm »

somewhere along the way I got exposed to hearing my well known music on better equipment and a whole new listening experience was revealed.

My world changed the day I listened to some Linn gear (~AUD$100K worth). I've never been the same. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow for my ear's taste, and so now I have listen to my 'expensive'  ::) sound system and realise just how bad it actually is.

I wish I could go back too. Or win lotto  ;D

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 08:39:15 pm »

Just imagine those of us who haven't ever heard really expensive equipment---at least THAT expensive.  I still want to hear it just so I can see what the difference is!  Then look at all those who are growing up with portable music players and tiny $5 earbuds.  Obviously a decent few thousand dollar audio/theater system will outperform a lot but what exactly does the hundreds of thousands of dollars get?!  And can you spend more?  I'm sure you can.

Lossy compression, I've heard, makes your brain work harder and is not as relaxing or good for you so that's one reason why lossless is preferred but then as others said above, there isn't a reason to use lossless on cheap portable devices.  But the cheap portable devices do not remove parts of the sound like mp3 does...they just have lower quality components that yield less sound quality--but in what way?  hmm.. strange.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 09:23:36 pm »

Going a bit far OT here, buuuut...

It made my ~$11K HI-FI (not theatre) system sound like it was a $30 transistor radio. At very low volume, there was still clean audible bass, extremely clear sound, and the audio imaging was amazing - almost no need for surround sound! If you ever get a chance, listen to this stuff. I had no concept of how good hi-fi gear could sound until then.

benn600

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 10:21:05 pm »

Where did you listen at?  I'm wondering if there are any big studios like that nearby.

Well what's the point of spending $5K on a home theater vs. $2K?  I mean if your $11K system sounded horrible after what you heard, I mean, you can't get much worse than a $30 transistor radio.

Then I would have to ask what you actually listened to?  When I listen to music in any of our various listening rooms ranging from small to medium computer speakers all the way to our best listening area, our theater, I definitely notice a difference everywhere but in a way, each area has it's own qualities that I like.  Plus, I often use the DSP studio to add effects or EQ for more or less bass.  So if it had clean audible bass at low volume, why not just bump the bass way up for cheaper systems?  I have a 2.1 system at work and have the bass turned to 100% because I usually listen at lower volumes and yes, there is not a whole lot of bass at low volumes.  With the high bass setting, it sounds great!  But I didn't have to spend thousands!  I just made a small adjustment.

It's hard to talk when I don't even know what I'm missing.  But then I've got to think that what I listen on is much better than a big percentage of other people!  I mean the typical system has junk, cheap speakers with it.

Starting with the low end, they sound horrible to okay.  Then for an extra $50 - $200, the quality jumps many times over itself.  Then at $1K, quality is even better and louder!  At that point, I think jumping to $10K may help but honestly, how much?  And TEN times that: $100K?  How much better is it really?!  Now I wish I had a source for listening to such quality.

Do you have any idea what add so much to the cost?  Perhaps the typical process will continue down the line and in 10 years, we'll all have $100K-quality systems of today...but then there will be better stuff?  Is the extra cost the research or special components?  Why is the bass more audible at low levels?

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 01:10:44 am »

OK, I'll answer what I can, but please be aware that I don't know a hell of a lot of the technical stuff, so may get the odd bit wrong.

Where did you listen at?  I'm wondering if there are any big studios like that nearby.
Other side of the planet to you. Literally. It was at a HI-FI store that happened to sell a wide price range of gear. Got talking to the owner on a slow day, so he gave me a good demo of his good gear.... with a glass of red  :D

Well what's the point of spending $5K on a home theater vs. $2K?  I mean if your $11K system sounded horrible after what you heard, I mean, you can't get much worse than a $30 transistor radio.
I should have been a bit clearer here. I meant relatively, my system vs a $30 radio, compared to my system vs a $100k system. Ultimately, if you're buying the system for your own pleasure, spend on what *you* can hear. If a $2k system sounds the same to you as a $5k, I agree, why spend 5k?

Then I would have to ask what you actually listened to?
Various music, primarily classical and opera (my main interests) but I do remember some Chris Isaak in there. Classical especially can have huge dynamic range, and so benefits from good gear that is able to accurately reproduce that dynamic range.

When I listen to music in any of our various listening rooms ranging from small to medium computer speakers all the way to our best listening area, our theater, I definitely notice a difference everywhere but in a way, each area has it's own qualities that I like.
You're getting into acoustics now, which is getting away from the discussion on systems, and is too hard to answer.

Plus, I often use the DSP studio to add effects or EQ for more or less bass.  So if it had clean audible bass at low volume, why not just bump the bass way up for cheaper systems?  I have a 2.1 system at work and have the bass turned to 100% because I usually listen at lower volumes and yes, there is not a whole lot of bass at low volumes.  With the high bass setting, it sounds great!  But I didn't have to spend thousands!  I just made a small adjustment.
It's not the same. You're forcing your speakers to do something they dont want to, and altering the music at the same time. All you're really doing is adding bass, not hearing the bass in its true contextual form WRT the music, and your speakers will never be able to respond to the audio signal in the same way better ones can. It's a bit hard to explain really, it's just not the same sound.

It's hard to talk when I don't even know what I'm missing.
  At least you realise that ;)  It's almost like explaining red to a blind man. I wouldn't have known myself but for a visit to a particular store.

But then I've got to think that what I listen on is much better than a big percentage of other people!  I mean the typical system has junk, cheap speakers with it.
True. Most people either don't care about, dont hear, or are unaware of the difference or can't afford the gear.

Starting with the low end, they sound horrible to okay.  Then for an extra $50 - $200, the quality jumps many times over itself.  Then at $1K, quality is even better and louder!  At that point, I think jumping to $10K may help but honestly, how much?  And TEN times that: $100K?  How much better is it really?!  Now I wish I had a source for listening to such quality.
It just keeps getting better in my experience. Again, red to a blind man. Having said that, I may not be able to tell the difference between a 60k and 100k system. It just so happened that I had an opportunity to listen to a $100k system.

Do you have any idea what add so much to the cost?
The system at the time was roughly (it's been a looong time)... $40+k speakers, 3x$10+k power amps (monoblock), I think 1x$10+k poweramp, $10K CD player, expensive cabling, etc... remember this is Australian dollars, and at the time that would be about a US$70k system.

Perhaps the typical process will continue down the line and in 10 years, we'll all have $100K-quality systems of today...but then there will be better stuff?
Hopefully, and undoubtedly. They're already looking at things like frequency responses up to 100kHz, which we cant hear directly (only up to about 18kHz for most people I think), but which alters what we can hear due to harmonics etc. Whether or not it's going to be judged worthwile though.....

Is the extra cost the research or special components?
Yes. :)

Why is the bass more audible at low levels?
Not an easy question. Lots of reasons, but my quick answers are... 1 power amplifier was dedicated to bass signals, meaning it could focus all its effort it delivering large amounts of power as required, without influencing the mid and upper signals (which each had their own amp). This really benefits the upper ranges more than the bass though. The speakers are able to respond more quickly and accurately to the bass they recieve, I guess due to their design and components. Their harmonics have been catered for in the cabinet design. All sorts of sound pressure stuff... lots of things I dont really know enough about.

At the end of the day, if you get a chance, just go to a high end store on a quiet day. Get chatting, and they're as like to help you out as not. Just remember to try and take some well recorded music you know very well. There's less benefit if you dont know the music, or even dont know the particular recording of music you do know.

benn600

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 09:11:35 am »

What difference would listening to the top songs of today vs. the classical/opera music provide?  New music has very low dynamic range.  I can imagine how real it would sound if the quieter classical periods came through loud and clear (but quietly) because that's how it sounds in real life, live.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 09:29:55 am »

The classical music, with the higher dynamic range, will show how well a system can cope with large variations in volume and still exhibit all the detail at both extremely high volume segements (eg. an orchestra in full flight, with the timpani going nuts), as well as during the quieter parts (a soprano singing pianissimo). There is of course modern music that has these traits as well, but I know the classical and opera better, and know that there is a lot of effort put into making the recording, and during the post processing for a lot of the recordings. .... is that what you're asking? (I'm not sure from your phrasing)

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 10:07:12 pm »

To get back to the original question, the soon-to-be-released Meizu miniPlayer M6 SL will support APE.

-John

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 01:53:09 am »

I just had a quick look, and doing a search for "APE" on that site skeeter lined yields a couple of other promising results.

Nice find skeeter.

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 02:55:39 pm »

Appreciate the FYI!   ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up