INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to modify the date imported field?  (Read 1593 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Is there a way to modify the date imported field?
« on: August 31, 2007, 03:57:46 am »

In order to improve my library performance I recently reimported the complete library. The library is much faster now. But, all my view schemes based on the import date are useless now!

Is there a way to modify field contents of such read-only fields? It did not help to overwrite the file "field (date imported).jmd" with the old library file.

Any ideas?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a way to modify the date imported field?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 04:01:03 am »

After overwriting the file, did you do a reimport with "update for external changes" checked?

[actually this won't work - ignore]

Mark

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:51:27 am »

If you have not changed the file names, locations or field data you can do the following:

- Restore your old library. (You may want to create a new empty library before the restore)
- Create a smartlist with this rule: ~d=cm (this will include the files in the Main and CD/DVD databases)
- Go to the smartlist and export it as an MPL file (File > Export Playlist, select "MPL" and "output range: all")
- Change to your new library
- Turn of the Auto-Importer (this is a precaution, I have not tested if this step is actually needed)
- Import the MPL file using this menu: File > Import Playlist (you must change the "Files of type" option before you can import MPL files.)

This updates all standard library files (audio, video, images, documents and files in the CD/DVD database) with the previous library field values (including the import dates and statistics).

You can check what info an mpl file contains with a text editor (it is better to export a separate small file list for this).

If your old library had custom library fields you must recreate them before importing the MPL file.

EDIT

You can also use the MPL file for importing the files to a new empty library and updating the "Date Imported" field values. In this case you just need to import the MPL file twice.

EDIT 2

It looks like the files that were previously only in the CD/DVD database end up in the Main database. The only way to keep them in a separate place after that is to create a new view scheme for them and use view scheme rules for excluding them from the standard view schemes.

If you don't want to include the CD/DVD database use this smartlist rule: ~d=m

EDIT 3

You can add a rule directly in the "Edit Smartlist" wizard if you press the Import/Export button and write or paste the rule there.

A feature request for JRiver:

Add a switch for importing an MPL file which has only CD/DVD files so that the files end up in the CD/DVD database.

Another request:

Change the name of the Import/Export button to Import/Export/Edit or something like that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 11:42:32 am »

Thanks, both for your ideas. But meanwhile I changed the location for many files - I ran out of hard disk memory.

But maybe I can try it, replacing the filenames with find/replace for those sets I have moved. I will think about it...

Wouldn't it be another solution to activate the flag "store in file tags" for the field date imported??? Then, I would assume the field content would be restored? Or would it be overwritten?

Or I can copy the field temporarily to another field - if it was allowed to paste into read only fields...

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 02:43:04 am »

I just want to let you know the way I was successful with my request:

Thanks again AlexB, I wasn't aware of the possibilities with MPL files. I exported all files to an mpl file. I copied it to Excel and ran a small macro that copied the date created content to the date imported content. As a result my view schemes based on rules with "date imported" are now running fine again.

By the way - with this method I will be able to perform many other nice conditioned operations with fields. E.g I would like to assign all genres to main genres, ...

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:37:48 am »

Interesting.  The MPL route would seem to allow me to, as Chris suggests, write some code to process my entire library and auto calculate in some fields (I'm thinking an Album Average Rating field here) and then reimport the entire file to update my library with the new field data?

Mark

gappie

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:52:26 am »

I just want to let you know the way I was successful with my request:

Thanks again AlexB, I wasn't aware of the possibilities with MPL files. I exported all files to an mpl file. I copied it to Excel and ran a small macro that copied the date created content to the date imported content. As a result my view schemes based on rules with "date imported" are now running fine again.

By the way - with this method I will be able to perform many other nice conditioned operations with fields. E.g I would like to assign all genres to main genres, ...

this is interesting.... thanks alot!!!

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 07:04:53 am »

Yup, just tested this and was able to update the value of the field and then reimport without affecting other data.

Sweet.  This should provide a way to kludge all the calculated field stuff that we've been asking JRiver to add over the years...

Mark

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 09:35:14 am »

Yes..a 3rd party tool that can do this with mpl would be quite useful.

..or maybe just regular expressions and a text editor.

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 04:14:36 pm »

Yes..a 3rd party tool that can do this with mpl would be quite useful.

..or maybe just regular expressions and a text editor.

That would be great! Who's the one who can do this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up