INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless???  (Read 1342 times)

gkerber

Gapless???
« on: August 17, 2002, 11:15:19 am »

I'm having trouble obtaining true gapless transisition from song to song.  This is totally unacceptable for Pink Floyd and live albums.

I can achieve gapless using APE format only, mp3 gives me a gap every time.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem and fixed it?

And I still can't use secure ripping in MJ, every time it drops my DSL connection, requiring a reboot to get reconnected and sometimes it even drops my CDR from DMA to PIO mode.  And once in PIO mode, it take a few reboots and moving IDE cable around to get back to DMA mode.

I never have this problem using EAC to rip, so whatever it is, it's somehow related to MJ, and maybe some bad interaction with some other software I have.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.347
Install Path: C:\Program Files\MediaJukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1667 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 319 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Gapless???
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2002, 11:59:54 am »

Try updating both MJ and the decoder plugin.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2002, 01:01:31 pm »

I just upgraded both the mp3 and ape plug-in's and MJ.

Still have the same problem.  I cannot achieve gapless playback using mp3.

And ripping using MJ still drops my DSL connection.  It did not change my cdrom from DMA to PIO, but this usually takes a while and I didn't run it  enough to know if it would or not.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Any other ideas?

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2002, 02:22:56 pm »

I've looked at the mp3 files produced by MJ and EAC (using Lame) using Goldwave. There is a clear silent gap at the start and end of each ripped track.  For Pink Floyd / Dark Side of the Moon between tracks 1 and 2 there should be no gap, period, and there is no gap heard with APE format.  But with mp3, there is a visable and audible gap.

(I can't look at APE files using Goldwave)

This problem appears with mp3 files ripped with EAC and MJ, so I'd guess the lack of gapness is not an MJ problem, but an mp3 ripping problem.

Anyone got any ideas or an encoder that will do it gapless?

gkerber

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2002, 03:19:59 pm »

From what I've been reading about MP3 encoders, it's almost impossible to get a gapless transisition between tracks.  I'd guess MJ is playing what's in the file, but if the file contains silence before/after, MJ plays it.

There seems to be a --nogap option in Lame, but I can't get it to work.  It seems to eliminate silence at the end of the track, but not at the start of the next track.  Most of the Lame documentation that I've found doesn't even mention the --nogap option.

And I found this

1.  Why does LAME add silence to the beginning each song?

This is because of several factors:

DECODER DELAY AT START OF FILE:

All *decoders* I have tested introduce a delay of 528 samples.  That
is, after decoding an mp3 file, the output will have 528 samples of
0's appended to the front.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2002, 05:29:49 pm »

The way most of get around the gapless problem is to use Cross-Fade with a duration of 0.1s.  Some people say they can hear the 0.1s disruption in the beat but I guess I must be temporally challenged because I can't.

Don't know what to say about the secure/dsl problem.  It's just plain strange.  Did you ever try not being connected when ripping, then connecting after the rip to see if the rip causes a permanent corruption?

As a last resort, anytime I can't explain a problem I open the case and swap the memory sticks around, or even remove one for a while.  Of course, this doesn't work if you only have one stick.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2002, 05:35:13 pm »

I think I could hear cross fade, and even if I couldn't, I'd suspect I could hear it, and then I'd have trouble sleeping at night....

I started out believing that mp3 was bad, lossy.  Then I did some hard listening tests and could clearly hear 128, but at 256 I couldn't hear it, at least I think I couldn't. So I ripped at 320 to be safe.

Now I'm having to go back and re-rip any album where ANY song has no gap between tracks in APE format.

I have a 100gig drive with 30gig left....

joe mama

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2002, 01:45:18 am »

If you're short on hard drive space, both OGG & MPC are capable of gapless playback.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up