INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Various Artists" vs "(Multiple Artists)"  (Read 3190 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
"Various Artists" vs "(Multiple Artists)"
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:26:38 pm »

Sorry for the NooB Q but what's the intended difference between "Various Artists" & "(Multiple Artists)" (as I've got some of my Compilations being categorised under both and would prefer one or the other).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: "Various Artists" vs "(Multiple Artists)"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:41:25 pm »

use find and replace
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:39:35 pm »

Thanks KS - I know how to change them but more interested on the rational behind the two classifications so I can choose what to change to what (if all that makes sence!)
JRiver CEO Elect

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:36:21 am »

It may be how the user entered it and submitted it to YADB.

I Do Not List My Albums As "Various Artists" Or "(Multiple Artists)"

I Always Fill In A Name If It Is Listed Like That For Each Track On The Album.

I Don't See Why I Would Want A "Various Artists" Tag, It Renders No Useful Information.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 02:27:50 am »

what's the intended difference between "Various Artists" & "(Multiple Artists)"
Thanks
Nathan

Have a read of this ---> http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255.0
Does that help at all?

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 06:15:34 am »

I don't know the answer for sure, but my guess is that "Various Artists" is a tag that many music databases use for multi-artist compilations. This is a fixed tag that is in the Artist field. The "(Multiple Artists)" value, however, is a dynamic/automatic value used by MC to designate the "Album Artist" of a compilation that is automatically set when MC detects an album has multiple artists.

So, how to you consolidate your "Various Artists" entry into the automatic "(Multiple Artists)" one? I've done it in he past, but its been a while, but here's what I think:

1. Make sure the Album field is the same for for all of the tracks in the album.
2. Overwrite the Artist field (not the Album Artists field, that one is automatic) with the artist for each track.
3. After all the tracks are completed MC should detect that they are multiple tracks in a multi-artist compilation and automatically fill in the Album Artist field. I don't know if you need to do something to refresh this, though.

Good luck.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 06:47:10 am »

There's an important distinction between the two tags "Album Artist" and "Album Artist (auto)". That is, "Album Artist (auto)" is automatically populated according to the following rules;

1. If tag "Album Artist" is not empty, then populate with the contents of tag "Album Artist", else;
2. If rules for multiple artist album are met, populate with the text "(Multiple Artists)", else;
3. Populate with the contents of tag "Artist".

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 05:03:01 pm »

It may be how the user entered it and submitted it to YADB.

The difference seems to be (?) what was used, MS seems to tag the compilation albums as "Various Artists" and MC as "(Multiple Artists)"

I Don't See Why I Would Want A "Various Artists" Tag, It Renders No Useful Information.

I like the feature as, compilation CD's (eg my Daughters "So Fresh Summar 2006" type stuff), Movie Sound tracks etc are then all kept and managed as a single CD.

1) I think I'll use "Various Artists" over "(Multiple Artists)" simply as it tends to be sorted towards the end of the list (hows that for deep thought!)
2) Now i've got the columns up I see much of my library does not have any value in the "Album Artist" field but always something in "Album Artist (Auto)" field

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 07:13:07 pm »

I use both "Various Artists" and "(Multiple Artists)" within MC. I use "(Multiple Artists)" just as MC does, but I limit it to music only. I use "Various Artists" for my old time radio and podcasts just so their names don't clutter up a listing of album artists.
Pages: [1]   Go Up