INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Questions: Auto-Tagging from web sources?  (Read 1331 times)

skaamu1

Newbie Questions: Auto-Tagging from web sources?
« on: August 08, 2007, 03:34:14 am »

Hi everybody,

I am trying Media Center at the moment and I am very happy with it. It's the first of many programs I tried that is able to deal correctly with my MP3-player, especially with samplers and podcasts. Before I decide to buy it, I have one question:

Is it possible to auto-tag MP3 files using Discogs, Amazon etc.? I searched that function but I did not find it, although I think that it is a common feature nowadays.

Thanks for any hints!

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie Questions: Auto-Tagging from web sources?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:38:36 pm »

It IS possible with plugins. But I don't belive they work any more. AMG etc don't like others using their data, and therefor stopped it.
If we want to, we would need to pay extra for it. There are alot of discussions on implementing this or not.

MC do have it's own database for tags though. YADB or something like that. It contains basic information like track name, artist, album I think. But I do not belive it's the biggest music database out there. Belive the tagging is mainly done while ripping CD's.
I only use Tag and Rename for my album tagging. Do not want it to be done automatic as I want to control manually that everything is correct.

As to wheather or not you should buy it, I think it would be a little foolish not to buy such a feature rich and good looking application for only 40$.
Even though it might not be up to your expectations on this one point. Get to know it and I belive you will fall in love. I did  :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

skaamu1

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:36:08 am »

Well, the point is that my approach to a software is not so much "visualizations" and "plug ins" and other crap, but good and neat synchronization with my media player (iAudio 6), including podcasts and so, with the possibility to really define the folder structure for the sync.

After trying a lot of applications, I found that MC 12 is, in fact, the only application that is able to handle those tasks correctly and reliable. MediaMonkey, for example, seems to be quite buggy.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:18:55 am »

I'm not aware of an app that can get data from Discogs, that would save loads of time for sure. But this need not stop you, there are apps that can get data from other sources amazon or other, all you do is save the tags to the file and then import into MC.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:22:17 am »

How many songs do you want tagged?  Are they from CD?  If so, you may want to just re-rip them if you don't have a ton.  You can manually pull information from the YADB on a track by track basis.  Right click, and look in the menu.  I don't have MC at my fingertips right now.  But I recall it being there--maybe in library tools.
Pages: [1]   Go Up