INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Interface  (Read 2975 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Web Interface
« on: August 29, 2007, 07:49:03 pm »

Are there any plans to update the web interface--that uses port 80 by default?  I would really like to see some further development with special usage added for the iPhone.  If a single line of code was added to the HTML or CSS documents, then the iPhone would start with the text fitting to the screen and it wouldn't be so tiny.  Plus, the sound %'s should probably be modified a bit simply because the 100% button is dangerous.

A nicer interface with cover art, thumbnails, etc., would be great.  I would like to help, too.  I have a LOT of HTML, XHTML, and CSS experience and am learning more about other web stuff now.  I've built quite a few sites in my day lol.

benn600

Re: Web Interface
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:47:21 pm »

I had to run out.  Now I can add some more thoughts.

One important question I have is about how to access this and other HTTP servers from the internet but without using additional ports.  Is there a simple PHP script that would be able to pass output AND input data between an internal 192.168.2.83:80 to an external domain.com/internal83.php

For theater view, it would be nice if there was a way to access the additional theater view items, such as a web site, and activate them.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 05:11:23 am »

mahlerfreak has created a nice web interface based on ajax (dojo). I am testing it for him and it works very well, takes a while to start up and is probably too heavy for a pda/smartphone, but he has mentioned developing a slimmer solution for pdas as a later step... check out the plugin development page. If you get in touch with him, he's a nice guy, he may let you test it.

Rich
Media Center 12 with Girder and Netremote
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000
Celestion F-Series Speakers

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:29:57 pm »

@benn600
Do you mean a 'remote server' ? or what do you mean with 'Web Interface' ?

If you are interested to test a ajax- and css-based remote-server... just give me a sign ;-)

Messiahs

benn600

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 11:07:46 pm »

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about.  The remote server.  Just the server that by default starts on port 80 and when you go to that computer's port 80 in a browser, it will show the MC control options in the web browser.

Yes, I would be very interested in testing your ajax and css system!  I personally have worked a lot with CSS but have hardly done anything with Ajax.  I suppose I should start working more with it.

Thanks!

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 12:06:20 am »

An ajax-ified web interface would be lovely. If anyone has one they are willing to share or let me assist them test, I would be very happy.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 12:10:55 pm »

Try searching for posts by MahlerFreak in the plugins forum

R
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 12:36:12 pm »

Apart from trying to get at MC via the cellphone...

..why is an ajaxified interface so appealing ?

when MC already allows you to :
- use theatre view with remote
- install and communicate via library server.
- possiblitly of RDPing or vnc from any platform.
- get more swanky with cinemar's lobby(?)

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 12:46:24 pm »

Well for me, it's a light weight interface on a remote laptop or device. not having to give access to the desktop filesystem etc, low bandwidth, low latency, interface. VNC is a great tool and I like using it, but I don't want people at a party using it. allow access to control the music but not to screw up the library.

R

Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000

_PM_

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:01:36 pm »

A nicer interface with cover art, thumbnails, etc., would be great.  I would like to help, too.  I have a LOT of HTML, XHTML, and CSS experience and am learning more about other web stuff now.  I've built quite a few sites in my day lol.
Hey, could you use your skills to design some kick-ass playing now skin?
I was trying to develop something able to show cover search/amazon search/lyric search/any page in an iframe. I had also in my mind a javascript that could copy an image form the web to the song folder. (I have a bit of code I can share, but I spent only a few minutes on it and there's absolutly nothing to be proud of).

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 01:16:09 pm »

Well for me, it's a light weight interface on a remote laptop or device. not having to give access to the desktop filesystem etc, low bandwidth, low latency, interface. VNC is a great tool and I like using it, but I don't want people at a party using it. allow access to control the music but not to screw up the library.
Before party, log into XP with an account of restricted abilities.

Party mode in MC prevents any updates. Anything more ?

unless the guests also happen to be MC users in which case then something "else" would be required :D

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 01:55:51 pm »

they still have access to the filesystem applications installed etc, unless I go to the trouble of removing shortcuts. a web interface is just plain simpler and has no latency compared ot moving a mouse around on a vnc connection. Also, my server runs at a screen resolution higher than my laptop, so I'd either have to let them scroll around the desktop, carefully set the size of MC to fill the screen or put it in scale mode and make it look horrible.

It's horses for courses, I prefer vnc for me, web interface for some users. you prefer vnc.

the inbuilt web interface is rubbish, but the plugin by maherfreak is very good and a work in progress so likely to get even better.

Rich

Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 02:36:26 pm »

That's why i suggested a restricted user account, you would remove all these entries to the system. And customise it just for party browsing. You can trim it down to the bare essentials if need be.

RDP is faster than vnc.  All you need is use a similar screen rez between the two. Over a 100Mbps wired network no lag at all, over wireless with a D network i think it would be workable too.

About latency.. isn't a web app even slower in this aspect ?..not knocking the attempt by any means..just asking :) If you could get the use-case to be simple enough maybe a simple ajax interface is perfectly good enough for the job.

I'll admit being initially attracted to web idea but rdp did the job well enough i stopped looking for alternatives. But then i don't have user restiriction reqmts.

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 02:47:50 pm »

I'd rather have a port of netremote for my symbian smartphone and JR seperate the GUI from the playback engine so I can have a client installed locally on my laptop which controls a remote server... and then id want full remote control with full  user permissions and on it goes... for far too long... the MC product is fab as it is and I am asking for too much from a small company filling a (currently) niche market and having to start to fight the big boys like M$

R
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 03:36:25 pm »

@benn600&confishy
hi,

i think in the next days a first version of my remote server will be finished...

When you're interested to take a look or test, just send me an eMail.

Greetz
Markus

richard.e.morton

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 04:00:09 pm »

@benn600&confishy
hi,

i think in the next days a first version of my remote server will be finished...

When you're interested to take a look or test, just send me an eMail.

Greetz
Markus

Hi There,

I would like to take a look as well if you don't mind.

Thanks

Rich
Windows XP Pro SP2
Tranquil T2e
Via SP13000
2x500GB in RAID1
Testing AJAX Web-I/F
Humax DVB PVR-9600T
Denon ADV-1000

benn600

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:36 pm »

Hey, could you use your skills to design some kick-ass playing now skin?
I was trying to develop something able to show cover search/amazon search/lyric search/any page in an iframe. I had also in my mind a javascript that could copy an image form the web to the song folder. (I have a bit of code I can share, but I spent only a few minutes on it and there's absolutly nothing to be proud of).

I would be willing to help with this.  I have thought of making my own playing now skin but was going to wait a little longer because MC keeps getting better and changing.  Making a playing now visualization is nothing!  I've already looked at some of them and it wouldn't be hard at all!  It looks like MC just replaces strings in the template.  I can figure that out pretty easily.

I think a web interface is a must for MC.  It really could go far--imagine cover art and image display!  Images aren't that tough but then imagine video!  I mean it could really provide the ultimate MC view from a web browser (not the full MC interface, obviously).  Cover art alone would be amazing.  And better design.  I would love to test your new system!  I would even like to help with whatever I can!

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 02:24:25 pm »

Hi,

to test the first version, pls send me your eMail via pm or unhide your email-address ;-).
i try to send you an download-link via pm... but doesn't work...

So long
Markus

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 03:05:57 pm »

one question:
would you prefer Quicktimes or VLC as embedded MP3-Player for streaming ?

benn600

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 03:34:46 pm »

vlc!!!!

Quicktime usually takes over as default with install which i dont like.  Cannot get vlc back to default ever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up