INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timeshift deletion prompt on stopping TV  (Read 3916 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Timeshift deletion prompt on stopping TV
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:21:18 am »

Now that I'm using the TV playback on my live system I've found a few things;

After TV has been running for a while when I press "Stop" I'm prompted if I want to delete the timeshift file etc.

The problem is sometimes I get it in the Theater View menu, other times in the normal standard view messagebox, which of course is useless in Theater View.

If I launch TV from the Theater View Main menu, I get the prompt OK, but I usually launch it from my remote with the  PLAY_TV MCC command and then I get it in a normal dialog box.

Also I'd prefer to just delete the timeshift file if I'm stopping TV playback, is there a way of having this set and not being prompted at all?

As a matter of interest, why would I need to keep the timeshift file when I stop TV viewing?

Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Timeshift deletion prompt on stopping TV
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:03:21 pm »

I'm with you on this.  I think the general idea is to warn you that you're about to loose the TS buffer??? - perhaps by mistake? When this prompt was introduced I thought it would be ok but it's become an annoyance for me now.

I think a global option to disable this feature would make sense.

And as you've pointed out, when starting TV using any of the applicable MCC commands while in Theater View, you get a standard view popup box for this prompt. I'll capture this bug in the build thread.

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 09:22:55 am »

I'm with you on this.  I think the general idea is to warn you that you're about to loose the TS buffer??? - perhaps by mistake?

There is more to this. Starting with recent builds, the time-shifting files (.jts) are imported into the library. You can save the files for later playback.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 04:33:14 pm »

There is more to this. Starting with recent builds, the time-shifting files (.jts) are imported into the library. You can save the files for later playback.

Yaobing this is starting to sound like getting to a single format where we can Record and Timeshift but would it be possible to just use the DVR-MS format or MPEG - I'm sure the .jts stuff is "better" but their are so many more 3rd party tools and support for the other two containers as well has not requiring any transcoding for the DVB-T streams.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:09:20 pm »

Yaobing this is starting to sound like getting to a single format where we can Record and Timeshift but would it be possible to just use the DVR-MS format or MPEG - I'm sure the .jts stuff is "better" but their are so many more 3rd party tools and support for the other two containers as well has not requiring any transcoding for the DVB-T streams.

Thanks
Nathan

We are not planning to change time-shifting format at this time for two reasons: 1. Switch means additional work - we have to throw away what is working and code for a new system; 2. DVR-MS is not available on pre-XP system.

I am envisioning the capability in MC to let you transcode or record from jts files (current session or saved sessions) to avi or mpg.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 06:39:22 pm »

Thank - I understand the reasons for the *.jts functionality for older systems and analogue TV but with DVB-T (and I presume ATSC) I'd argue that you are already streaming the MPG-TS into a DVR-MS container when recording - all that is then missing is the ability to pause, seak, and play back from this stream while it is recording.
Nathan

Also the taging of some of these files as "Data" not "Video" is odd.
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 10:45:40 pm »

Ok, but the standard view popup box while in t'view is a bug.
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 05:48:48 am »

Ok, but the standard view popup box while in t'view is a bug.

I'd still like to see it as an option, especially since my library is replaced every night from my master library so any timeshift files won't be in it anyway, but they will still be on the disc taking up valuable space.

When running automation scripts I now have to deal with something happenign after I press stop and switch to something else which is also a pain.

What are the "rules" for the prompt, it doesn't aleays come up so I assume it's only once a certain amout of time has been recorded?

Richard

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 04:54:29 pm »

Thank - I understand the reasons for the *.jts functionality for older systems and analogue TV but with DVB-T (and I presume ATSC) I'd argue that you are already streaming the MPG-TS into a DVR-MS container when recording - all that is then missing is the ability to pause, seak, and play back from this stream while it is recording.
Nathan

Also the taging of some of these files as "Data" not "Video" is odd.

jts is actually a container. This container is not very neatly defined. The container is a Windows' folder in which a large number of files are dumped.  ;)

When I finally implement a "recording while time-shifting" and / or "time-shifting while recording", the final recorded file will be in DVR-MS or AVI, depending on codec.

I'd still like to see it as an option, especially since my library is replaced every night from my master library so any timeshift files won't be in it anyway, but they will still be on the disc taking up valuable space.

I think there should be a "Do not ask me again" checkbox.

What are the "rules" for the prompt, it doesn't aleays come up so I assume it's only once a certain amout of time has been recorded?

We ask if the file is twenty minutes or longer, or if the playback is at least one minute behind live show.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 05:27:05 pm »

I'd be happy with that.

Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 07:34:29 pm »

That'd be fine .... When in Theater View, this will be presented in an appropriate message box though right? ;-)

Thanks
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 07:22:54 am »

I just had a thought.

Would it be possible to have /mcc commands for "Stop TV (delete timeshift)" and "Stop TV (Save timeshift)" so that we can control the options from a remote rather than being prompted on the screen?

Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 08:39:26 am »

I just had a thought.

Would it be possible to have /mcc commands for "Stop TV (delete timeshift)" and "Stop TV (Save timeshift)" so that we can control the options from a remote rather than being prompted on the screen?

Richard

This wouldn't work too well for me. I'd need to assign this function to another stop button just for TV - separate to the one I use for stopping all other playback in MC. Sounds confusing.

I personally still think a "set once and forget" checkbox is the easiest solution. Give the user the option to configure this as part of the TV setup wizard. Even that would be a logical place for it IMO....
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 09:31:18 am »

This wouldn't work too well for me. I'd need to assign this function to another stop button just for TV - separate to the one I use for stopping all other playback in MC. Sounds confusing.

I personally still think a "set once and forget" checkbox is the easiest solution. Give the user the option to configure this as part of the TV setup wizard. Even that would be a logical place for it IMO....

I'm still happy to have the "set once and forget" checkbox as well, just for my system when I press the "System Standby" or switch to another playback type (recorded video or music) from my automation system I want to stop TV playback and not have to worry about options that may pop up.

But if I press the "Stop" button while watching TV I want to be prompted about the timeshift.

I guess that's the problem with this software, there are so many different ways we all use it, but I woudn't want it any other way either!

R

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 08:18:02 pm »

Shameless bump ;)

Any idea when something will be implemented?

Thanks
Richard

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 06:53:07 pm »

Shameless bump ;)

Any idea when something will be implemented?
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 01:23:22 am »

Somebody, anybody??

Cheers
Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up