INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: theater view: 1 repeatable crash, 1 possible bug, 1 suggestion  (Read 3215 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
theater view: 1 repeatable crash, 1 possible bug, 1 suggestion
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:10:41 am »

I never use theater view because I use MC exclusively on my desktop/laptop, but I do pop into it once in a while to check out the new features. It is therefore not important to me that these issues be addressed but I thought I would report them anyway.

1) Crash. For many months and many revisions of MC I get a consistent crash every time I select the Video view scheme in Theater View. The same Video view scheme works perfectly in Standard View so I am not sure what additional information to provide to help you diagnose the problem. The view is modestly complex with 7 panes, 1 of which is a Search List and the other 6 are simple Library Fields. The reported error is "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, Runtime Error! "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information".

2) Bug? My Image view scheme excludes one genre via the syntax "-[Genre]=[other]". It works as expected in Standard View however in Theater View the excluded genre is displayed. This problem may be unique to the Image view scheme because, as a test, I excluded a genre from the Audio view scheme and it worked as expected in Theater View.

3) Suggestion. I have a view scheme which I call Main and which is located in the root (i.e. created from within Playing Now). Main is pretty much the only view scheme I use because it includes all media types and I have made extensive use of the pane Search List feature to give me every filter into my media library that I need. Although Main's properties have been set to Show in Theater View it is not available in Theater View. It appears that Theater View only supports the stock Audio/Image/Video views. I think this is a major limitation. Almost all of my "albums" have multiple media types. For example, music albums have txt info and cover art jpgs. As do my audio books. As do my video lectures. As do my jpg maps. For me, the only view scheme that makes sense is one that includes all media types. So I personally think that the stock Audio/Images/Video views are an old fashioned and overly restrictive way to categorize media and should be replaced with a single root view scheme that includes all media types. I expect this suggestion will not have much support, but fortunately there is a reasonable work around because we can create a custom root view scheme as I have done. But unfortunately this custom view scheme does not work in Theater View and I think this should be addressed.

One more thought: There might be a clean and easy way to address my concern about the restrictiveness of Audio/Images/Video and keep everyone happy. It is already possible to override the Media Type qualifier in these views. The problem is that it is not possible to rename these views which makes them non-intuitive if the Media Type is overridden. If you were to make it possible to rename the stock Audio/Images/Video views then every conceivable need would be met.

Cheers, Rob

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: theater view: 1 repeatable crash, 1 possible bug, 1 suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 12:28:38 am »

As referred to in several other threads, I strongly support the feature request.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:51:06 am »

Same here!
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:26:01 am »

1) Crash.

I've definitely seen this before and managed to find out what it was.... I don't *think* I reported it either for whatever reason. If I remember correctly it was something to do with the caption setting. I had it set to something it didn't like. Putting it back to [Name] fixed it.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:11:22 am »

Agree with sugestion also.

rjm

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 03:12:10 am »

I've definitely seen this before and managed to find out what it was.... I don't *think* I reported it either for whatever reason. If I remember correctly it was something to do with the caption setting. I had it set to something it didn't like. Putting it back to [Name] fixed it.

Good catch. I never changed the caption from its default [Name] however some of my videos do not have a value assigned to Name (they all have data in Album). I changed the caption to [Album] and everything is now ok. So it appears that the crash is caused by the display of a null caption.

Now that my Video view is working in Theater View I was able to figure out what is going on in the possible bug 2) I reported above. It appears that I did not understand how Theater View works. I needed to enter Theater View, then select Views, then select Images (apparently All Files is the default). When All Files is selected filters are ignored, hence my excluded genre was displayed. Sorry for the noise generation.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:49:46 am »

Glad that sorted it. It's a pretty nasty bug that one.

I know what you mean regarding the views, it takes some playing about to get them looking right. I remember tearing my hair out with the same problem.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 03:52:02 am »

One more thought: There might be a clean and easy way to address my concern about the restrictiveness of Audio/Images/Video and keep everyone happy. It is already possible to override the Media Type qualifier in these views. The problem is that it is not possible to rename these views which makes them non-intuitive if the Media Type is overridden. If you were to make it possible to rename the stock Audio/Images/Video views then every conceivable need would be met.

Cheers, Rob

Just to point out, there is a way to rename these, but its a little non-obvious- In the translation file. I can't remember which precise Video string it is in there (There are several of them), but it's entirely possible to rename them from in there. Admittedly, there is then no way to change them back without re-editing the translation file, and its a minor kludge, but it works  :)

-Leezer-

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:32:03 am »

Good idea, I've done this too to give it a more personal touch ... just a quick note to be sure to save it as a separate language rather overwriting an existing one otherwise it'll get written over in any updates.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 06:48:44 am »

1) Crash. For many months and many revisions of MC I get a consistent crash every time I select the Video view scheme in Theater View. The same Video view scheme works perfectly in Standard View so I am not sure what additional information to provide to help you diagnose the problem. The view is modestly complex with 7 panes, 1 of which is a Search List and the other 6 are simple Library Fields. The reported error is "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, Runtime Error! "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information".
Thanks for reporting it.  Please post the last few lines of the log here.  You can search for "crash" in the log.

Logging is under MC Help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 07:09:10 am »

Good idea, I've done this too to give it a more personal touch ... just a quick note to be sure to save it as a separate language rather overwriting an existing one otherwise it'll get written over in any updates.
Not if you put it in Custom Resources.

rjm

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:29:14 pm »

Thanks for reporting it.  Please post the last few lines of the log here.  You can search for "crash" in the log.

Logging is under MC Help.

You may have missed it in this thread but I think we understand what is causing the crash:

Good catch. I never changed the caption from its default [Name] however some of my videos do not have a value assigned to Name (they all have data in Album). I changed the caption to [Album] and everything is now ok. So it appears that the crash is caused by the display of a null caption.

rjm

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 01:16:57 pm »

Just to point out, there is a way to rename these, but its a little non-obvious- In the translation file. I can't remember which precise Video string it is in there (There are several of them), but it's entirely possible to rename them from in there. Admittedly, there is then no way to change them back without re-editing the translation file, and its a minor kludge, but it works  :)

-Leezer-

woo hoo!
I tried this and it works great. Thanks for the tip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up