INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitles  (Read 1017 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Subtitles
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:55:28 am »

Hi all,
Until recently subtitles have been working fine for me. I have CCCP installed and have all my subtitles in one folder. However, the last few days, I'm getting really sporadic results when i playback movie files. I rip most of my dvds to mp4 and have MC set to use the haali media splitter to play them back. I have subtitles turned on in ffdshow video settings, with priority for japanese language, and the same in haali settings. But they either only playback in English, or dont show at all.

Playing the same files in zoomplayer confirms that there are indeed japanese subtitles in the files and i can easily hotswap between english and japanese subtitles during playback. I'm wondering if MC could be the culprit???

Thanks.

park

• MC Beta Team
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:00:10 am »

umm, on a tenuously related note:
Would it be possible to add idx, and sub file types to the list of file types for importing. I'd like to be able to rename my subtitles and movies in a dedicated viewscheme. Thanks.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 06:44:46 am »

you can add the files you want

edit this file FileAssociations.xml located in ...\Default Resources

this row as example
<Data>MS Office Files (doc,xls,csv,ppt,mde,mdb);Adobe Acrobat Files (pdf);Text Files (txt,rtf,log,idx,sub)

:)
MT5FR

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:17:37 pm »

Thanks for the advice on the file types. I'll try that out.

Back to my original problem though...
After playing some more to try and find the pattern, I've found out the following:

I am testing only mp4's that I have encoded myself. All ripped subtitles have been idx/sub pairs containing both english and japanese subtitles in the same files.
I am using the cccp 2007/07 pack, which uses hali splitter and ffdshow to playback the files. After reading about the reliability of the different versions of the vsfilter, I played with uninstalling cccp, and reinstalling and copying various versions of the vsfilter.dll file over the most recent one (i heard that 2.33 and 2.34 were the last good ones). It didnt make any difference though.

The subtitles only ever show on screen if the subtitles section of the "ffdshow options" is ticked. And then, they only show the default stream (in files with more than one language in the subtitle files). Changing the subtitle language in the options makes no difference.
The defualt language for lots of my japanese dvds varies between english and japanese, making for very inconsistent playback, and not being able to change the language at all for multi language subtitle files renders MC useless for playback, for me.

Also, I noticed that sometimes subtitles dont show at all. This is often when a dvd is played back from a bookmarked state. Resetting the file (stop stop) and playing it again, brings back the subtitles.

For now, my solution to the problem is to play the files in zoomplayer. In zoomplayer you dont need to have the subtitle options turned on in ffdshow. You can select which language "stream" you want to play in a menu, directly in the player while the movie is playing. If anybody can enlighten me on how to playback/setup multi-stream (language) subtitle files in MC though, I'd jump back in a second.
Pages: [1]   Go Up